Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am suffering very badly from anxiety; would it be feasible for me to complete my exams in a separate room?

Thank you for your help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie Vardy)
    I am suffering very badly from anxiety; would it be feasible for me to complete my exams in a separate room?

Thank you for your help.
    You'll have to contact the exam administrator at the school to find that answer - it depends on whether the school will let you

ReputationRep:
    You'd have to ask the centre, but I don't know if that's a good enough reason to get to sit it elsewhere...

We can't really give you a definitive answer

ReputationRep:
    Alright, thanks guys.

ReputationRep:

Thank you for your help.
    This isn't fair. I have anxiety too, so do alot of students, exams are not social gatherings, the majority of time will be spent writing in silence.

If you feel it hinders your performance, ask for a mitigating circumstances form or to have extra time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah097)
    This isn't fair. I have anxiety too, so do alot of students, exams are not social gatherings, the majority of time will be spent writing in silence.

If you feel it hinders your performance, ask for a mitigating circumstances form or to have extra time.
    I experience excessive coughing, gagging and feeling sick. It really brings the worst out of me every single day; my anxiety is more generalised.

ReputationRep:
    I experience excessive coughing, gagging and feeling sick. It really brings the worst out of me every single day; my anxiety is more generalised.
    If you feel that you'll be disruptive to other students then thats another issue, but as someone with anxiety, it should not merit special treatment during exams in my opinion.

Go and speak to your doctor, maybe get a note?

ReputationRep:
    you might be able to do your exam in a smaller room with less people, but doing it in a separate room would depend on whether they had any space after all those who needed scribes and stuff had somewhere. Ask your SENCO or exams coordinator

ReputationRep:
    In secondary school I talked to my exams officer who arranged for me to be in a smaller room (with the people who had extra time or computers) when possible. It did massively help me as I felt less trapped and I was less on-edge so could actually focus more on my exams.
    At uni however I had to have a doctor's note saying that my anxiety was particularly bad during exams and then I had a meeting with the university support who had to apply for me to have "special provisions" (still me in a smaller room).

Different schools might treat it differently- some will be as straightforward as my secondary school and others go full uni official. It can't hurt to try so try and find out how to talk to your exams officer asap.

ReputationRep:
    If you feel that you'll be disruptive to other students then thats another issue, but as someone with anxiety, it should not merit special treatment during exams in my opinion.

Go and speak to your doctor, maybe get a note?
    I have been to my doctor today. I am also currently in SENDCo, away from lessons, so my situation is understandable.

ReputationRep:

Thank you for your help.
    It's possible a girl in my year had panic attacks and got a separate room for her exams.

ReputationRep:

If you have anxiety you should understand how debilitating it is. Just because you don't struggle with exam anxiety doesn't mean no-one does.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.