The Student Room Group

Dashcam Advice?

I want to install a dashcam. Does anyone have any recommendations for one that

- Is high enough resolution to read number plates at 10m
- Has telemetry to show vehicle speed
- Uses SD or CF memory with at least 32GB card compatibility
- Can be paired with a second camera for the rear
- Compact design (car doesn't have great front visibility as it is).
- Under £150
Reply 1
Original post by XMaramena

- Under £150

Dash cams can be cheap but not good quality. You want to make sure the camera is atleast 1080 which is hd so everything is clear.
Linking both the cameras front and rear may cost more so havig them seperate wil be cheaper.
SD card 64gb minimum as you can store alot of data
The telementery isnt really needed unless gou have others driving your car. Telementery just adds the final price

I have had a few but really depends if your willing to pay £150 per camera or one
Reply 2
Original post by raesa786
Dash cams can be cheap but not good quality. You want to make sure the camera is atleast 1080 which is hd so everything is clear.
Linking both the cameras front and rear may cost more so havig them seperate wil be cheaper.
SD card 64gb minimum as you can store alot of data
The telementery isnt really needed unless gou have others driving your car. Telementery just adds the final price

I have had a few but really depends if your willing to pay £150 per camera or one

I've got some 64 and 128GB SD cards at home, I just know some devices aren't compatible with cards above 32GB.

£150 for the whole setup. It may be that if doing it separately, a much cheaper camera for the rear would be sufficient as long as it has decent image quality, since all the telemetry and GPS data and such like would be already in the front.

Definitely want to have telemetry - if I have an accident, I want to be able to prove that I wasn't speeding. There are a lot of country lanes where I live where people tend to drive recklessly around blind corners and hills. If I was involved in a head-on, I can totally see my insurance saying "ah, you were both probably driving too fast on that area, it's both your fault" and my NCB getting trashed.
Reply 3
I've got some 64 and 128GB SD cards at home, I just know some devices aren't compatible with cards above 32GB.

£150 for the whole setup. It may be that if doing it separately, a much cheaper camera for the rear would be sufficient as long as it has decent image quality, since all the telemetry and GPS data and such like would be already in the front.

Definitely want to have telemetry - if I have an accident, I want to be able to prove that I wasn't speeding. There are a lot of country lanes where I live where people tend to drive recklessly around blind corners and hills. If I was involved in a head-on, I can totally see my insurance saying "ah, you were both probably driving too fast on that area, it's both your fault" and my NCB getting trashed.

Yes your absolutely right there. All send some links later with the ones I'd recommend in that budget
Reply 4
For thatbudget I'd say the Nextbase 512.

It costs £140 on Amazon right now - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B014EW49CO/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=19450&creativeASIN=B014EW49CO&linkCode=as2&tag=webq-21

Will sit nicely out the way behind the rear view mirror
Full HD
GPS built in with location and speed

There are very few Dashcams that allow you to add in a rear-view one, it's far easier to just buy to separate, cheaper one - you don't need one with GPS, etc. for the rear if you've got in the front.

- Under £150

I use my SJ4000 action camera. Its very small and you can mount it to the windscreen and there is an option to use it as a dash cam by selecting car mode. It switches on when you turn the ignition. Or if you just want to record your journey just use normal recording. It has excellent 1080p HD resolution. They come with a wide range of accessories like the go-pro with waterproof case, various attachments for bikes etc.
Sj4000 are as good as go-pro cameras but cost less than £60 on ebay and amazon. You need a class 10 micro SD card which can cost around £7 for 32GB on ebay or amazon.

The added advantage is when you're not using it in the car you can use it for skiing, cycling, underwater or any other fun activity.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Ambitious1999
I use my SJ4000 action camera. Its very small and you can mount it to the windscreen and there is an option to use it as a dash cam by selecting car mode. It switches on when you turn the ignition. Or if you just want to record your journey just use normal recording. It has excellent 1080p HD resolution. They come with a wide range of accessories like the go-pro with waterproof case, various attachments for bikes etc.
Sj4000 are as good as go-pro cameras but cost less than £60 on ebay and amazon. You need a class 10 micro SD card which can cost around £7 for 32GB on ebay or amazon.

The added advantage is when you're not using it in the car you can use it for skiing, cycling, underwater or any other fun activity.

How long do you find it takes to fill up the SD card? Also, do you keep the footage afterwards for a certain amount of time, or do you just overwrite it automatically when it runs out of space?

Quick Reply

Latest