Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Brexiteers Hidden Agenda watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    The Labour party has recently documented a paper highlighting the underlying motives of those behind the campaign to take Britain out of the EU.

https://www.scribd.com/doc/307423185...-Hidden-Agenda

'those at the heart of the Leave campaign have anagenda that they want tokeep hidden from theBritish public.It is an agenda that envisionsa free market, low regulation, race-to-the-bottom Britain; aBritain in which companies are free to treat workers and theenvironment as they please, andwheregovernment retreats and leaves everything to the market. To get to thisdystopia, theOuters know they must firsttake Britain out of the EU'

'the truth is that “red tape” is code for“protections for workers, consumers and theenvironment”. '

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    The Labour party has recently documented a paper highlighting the underlying motives of those behind the campaign to take Britain out of the EU.

'those at the heart of the Leave campaign have anagenda that they want tokeep hidden from theBritish public.It is an agenda that envisionsa free market, low regulation, race-to-the-bottom Britain; aBritain in which companies are free to treat workers and theenvironment as they please, andwheregovernment retreats and leaves everything to the market. To get to thisdystopia, theOuters know they must firsttake Britain out of the EU'

'the truth is that “red tape” is code for“protections for workers, consumers and theenvironment”. '
    It's funny that most of the leave campaigners don't even know what "red tape" they're referring to, but you know they'll be the first to start *****ing and whining when their rights start getting taken away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    It's funny that most of the leave campaigners don't even know what "red tape" they're referring to, but you know they'll be the first to start *****ing and whining when their rights start getting taken away.
    Red tape often restricts rights such as free speech rather than give them. Most brexiters are referring to general restrictions and that companies in the UK have to follow those restrictions even when trading out of the UK.

I would advise you read this:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ness-taskforce

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheNote)
    Red tape often restricts rights such as free speech rather than give them.
    I know right? You can't even have an electric fire in your bath because of the politically correct brigade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmsV1TuESrc

ReputationRep:
    The simple fact is Brexiters are a bunch of old racists who want to leave because a muslim country might join the EU

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheNote)
    Red tape often restricts rights such as free speech rather than give them. Most brexiters are referring to general restrictions and that companies in the UK have to follow those restrictions even when trading out of the UK.

I would advise you read this:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ness-taskforce
    On the red tape issue there's a distinction to be made between the UK government and some of the fringe right wing Eurosceptics.

The UK government is is quite active on reducing domestic regulation trying to pull out regulations that impose costs on business (they had a one in, one out rule on regulation that became one in, two out), and they are trying to drive this as an EU wide thing.

On the other hand some of the right wing Eurosceptics want to be able to get away with whatever they can and complain about any rules as 'red tape', their ideal is a world without entitlements to annual leave/rest breaks, vastly reduced health and safety standards, product regulations etc.

In a lot of cases you need regulations to make markets work properly for consumers; unless people know that there are regulations governing the standards or quality of products then they become unsure over whether to buy them or not, and without labour market regulation we'll end up like China with people working in sweatshops (which some Eurosceptics would think was not a bad thing).

The UK government is trying to get a relatively low regulation BUT some regulation agenda through the EU so that it makes markets work better across Europe.

However there is an obvious point when pro-EU people warn about the agenda of some of the Brexiters to smash away labour market regulations etc. If we leave the EU then no doubt there will be some Conservatives/UKIPers who want to do this, but if they do, and they are not what the British people want, then they will just get voted out at the next election and Labour will come in and can regulate more than they would be allowed to in the EU, if they so wished.

The whole point of democracy is that if a government does too many things that are unpopular, the voters will throw them out. Look at what happened when Osborne saw the public reaction to cutting working tax credits or PIP disability payments...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by intelligent con)
    The simple fact is Brexiters are a bunch of old racists who want to leave because a muslim country might join the EU
    Surely not

ReputationRep:

I support leaving the European Union and if I have any sort of agenda it is literally the exact opposite of that.

ReputationRep:

Ah the EU. Now being billed as gallant protector and hero of the British working man I see.

I wonder if the Tories will use some more taxpayers money to put those thoughts into a second leafleting campaign?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

I didn't know helping Britain prosper was a hidden agenda?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    It's because you're an ugly capitalist.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Josb)
    It's because you're an ugly capitalist.
    Nooo, not the free markets!!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Nooo, not the free markets!!!!!Posted from TSR Mobile
    Booooo:
    Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    The free market is dangerous and volatile, some of these ignorant capitalists fail to recognise the threat it is on our economy. The EUs strict rules keep us as a mixed market economy floating. The interdependence that globalisation has brought to us has made us susceptible to economic shocks and the free market economy would be hit like an earthquake causing a huge recession

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    I support leaving the European Union and if I have any sort of agenda it is literally the exact opposite of that.
    Then you should probably not support leaving the EU, because that's what's going to happen if we do.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Josb)
    Booooo:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Good ol' Milton

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    When you have people who only two years previously been supporting privatising the NHS and suddenly placing the NHS at the forefront of their campaign that is I'm afraid masking your true intentions because they think it will go down well with the public.

As for richer: well, we'll see. I'm sceptical of this unique and magical deal that can be arranged for us for a start.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    When you have people who only two years previously been supporting privatising the NHS and suddenly placing the NHS at the forefront of their campaign that is I'm afraid masking your true intentions because they think it will go down well with the public.

As for richer: well, we'll see. I'm sceptical of this unique and magical deal that can be arranged for us for a start.
    All deals are unique, but with major trade deficits with Germany and France it is in their interest to have a decent deal

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    All deals are unique, but with major trade deficits with Germany and France it is in their interest to have a decent deal
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Germany and France also have leaders committed to the EU and wary of discontent in their own (and other ) countries. European democracies are also far less averse to Tariffs than in the UK too.

Whilst I happily admit I would want to stay in the EU even if we would automatically get free aces to the singlemarket, It makes no sense to me why an EU Which is so useless, incompetent etc (as the Mail etc Would have us believe) will suddenly do whatever we want.

We would post brexit have to pay rather a lot of money to operate in our largest market in which we would have no say. As the Norwegians have put it: it's the worst of both worlds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by intelligent con)
    Complete nonsense.

None of the arguments for leaving the EU are racist. You're just throwing that buzzword around to dismiss any argument and assert your own moral authority.

Turkey joining the EU isn't much of a concern because it is doubtful it will happen. You need to be a free democratic country to join and Turkey has gone backwards in that regard since Erdogan came to power. Turkey joining the EU isn't a realistic prospect, and has not been at the forefront of the arguments of the leave campaign who have instead focussed on sovereignty, immigration and trade.

The implication that it is racist to not want a Muslim country to join is also nonsense. It would be incongruous for Turkey to join a union the EU given what it stands for. And not wanting to enter into such an entrenched relationship with a country with vastly different values and norms is not racist, it is prudent and justifiable.

I'm in favour of staying in the EU, but when people demonise those who do advocate Brexit as racists rather than addressing valid concerns, it's hardly surprising that so many do want to leave.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.