Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Too often, Islam is portrayed as a monolithic entity, with only one single interpretation. But the truth is that, much like in Christianity, Islam is a diverse religion with many different interpretations and practices. I was thinking it would be good to have a thread to showcase the other side of Islam. This is thread is primarily for people to learn about the diversity of Islam, and contributions from others is welcomed.

I thought I would start off with the Whirling Dervishes

The Whirling Dervishes

Mevlana Jalaluddin Rumi (1207-1273), a Sufi Muslim poet and mystic, established the Dervish order of the Mevlevis and started the whirling dance of the ‘Sema’. The word Dervish refers to specific Sufi fraternities, who, like European mendicant friars, were known for their extreme poverty and austerity. They were renowned as a source of wisdom, medicine, poetry, enlightenment, and witticisms.

The ‘Sema’ is the Alevi ritual dance, famous for the spinning around of the performers. It symbolizes the putting off of one’s self and union with God. This mesmerizing, seven-century old ritual features beautiful costumes, hypnotic music with flutes, string and percussion, and the Dervishes whirling. The ritual unites the three fundamental components of human nature: the mind, the heart and the body. These three elements are thoroughly joined both in theory and in practice and as perhaps in no other ritual or system of thought. To the Sufi Muslims, there is nothing which does not revolve, because all things comprise of revolving electrons, protons and neutrons in atoms.

His dance is part of a sacred ceremony in which the Dervish rotates in a precise rhythm. He represents the earth revolving on its axis while orbiting the sun. The purpose of the ritual whirling is for the Dervish to empty himself of all distracting thoughts, placing him in a trance; released from his body he conquers dizziness.
    http://scribol.com/anthropology-and-...es-of-istanbul

An interesting Guardian article with lots of pictures:
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/ng-...-a-photo-essay

ReputationRep:
    Oh my god yes, the Dervishes! When we went on holiday to Cairo my girlfriend and I visited a few Sufi hotspots and had the ethereal pleasure of actually taking part in this spiritual dance. It transports you to a different world and you just feel connected to everyone and everything. Been interested in Sufism ever since, though I'd read a lot of Rumi before that anyway. Such an amazing mind and spirit he has.

It's such a shame that Islam is painted the way it is by the media and the Saudi propaganda with hardly anyone knowing the beauty that lies at its core and you don't have to be a believer to appreciate it or even incorporate it into your own belief system.

Post more please!

ReputationRep:
    I bet they get so dizzy after that

ReputationRep:
    Looking forward to the sections on ISIS, Al Qaeda, Al Shabaab, Boko Haram, Hamas, Hezbollah, and the Taliban, to name a few.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PissBeUponHim)
    I do not believe Muhammadism is a true religion of God but is in fact a man-made political ideology created most likely by a group of generals out to create an empire using God for expediency dealing with ignorant religiously devout people. Muhammad has created an ideology that poses as given from God but is really a war manual for making continuous war against everyone who doesn't follow Muhammadism.

In short it's an ideology and not a theology. And it is a terrible ideology at that that preys on human weakness especially the weakness of fear of decision-making that allows tyrants and dictators to rise to power exploiting this common behavior of human beings. The other horrible exploitation in Muhammadism is blood lust, the take over of human consciousness by the lizard/animal brain that only wants to see blood, and lot's of it, spilled from human beings.

This lust drives the current IS recruitment campaign and as we all can see there is no real significant outcry against it by Muslims worldwide as Muhammad had it himself and encouraged it with commandments to behead and slay "infidels", i.e. anyone who didn't agree with Muhammad.

As Muhummadans act out their ideology of war they create the inevitable Christian/Jewish/Atheist backlash that will in the end destroy Muhammadism for anyone who thinks rationally.
    Say wallahi bruv.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arkasia)
    Looking forward to the sections on ISIS, Al Qaeda, Al Shabaab, Boko Haram, Hamas, Hezbollah, and the Taliban, to name a few.
    Except that is the point I am arguing against. You named six Sunni terrorist groups, and they all follow fairly similar interpretations of Islam, influenced I imagine quite greatly by the likes of Sayyid Qutb, and they practice their faith in very similar ways. The point of this thread is to highlight the variety of practices within Islam and show it is not a monolithic ideology, no matter how much Islamists might claim it to be. There is more to Islam than the Salafi/Wahhabi Islam.

ReputationRep:
    Here's something to get people in the mood:

https://youtu.be/kVykC5En59g

https://youtu.be/Bo49zNrvXeA

https://youtu.be/y5xUKTBP258

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.