Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm starting medicine at liverpool this september (if I get AAA) and I just had a question about assignments/exams. Are all official exams actual exams, or are there some essays that count towards your degree?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by milemed11)
    Hi, I'm starting medicine at liverpool this september (if I get AAA) and I just had a question about assignments/exams. Are all official exams actual exams, or are there some essays that count towards your degree?
    I've edited your title, so that it will hopefully catch the eye of a Liverpool medic.
    I'mafraid I can't help more than that, as it varies from med school to med school. But try looking through the Liverpool applicants thread (including the gem thread) as current students often answer questions like this in thread.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, firstly congratulations on your offer!

At Liverpool there are two sets of exams per year- one set around January/Feb and one set in June/July. The winter ones are formatives- assessment for learning, the uni says- so they are purely for you to gauge how your learning methods are working and identify your weak areas etc. In first year and fourth (i.e. finals) year, formatives are done in an exam hall as if they were a real exam, in second and third year they're just online papers. Summer exams are summatives- assessments of learning- so they count towards your degree. There are also OSCE's but you don't do OSCE's until second year, and OSCE's are pass/fail at the moment (I think there is talk of changing that).

For essays, you have to do Research & Scholarship projects which are a research project you undertake (usually an audit or literature review or a questionnaire of some sort) throughout the academic year. As far as I know RS1 and RS3 (done in first year and third year) are summative. RS2 (done in second year) is a project proposal for the research project you will do for RS3.

The written exams are banded as 65 (pass), 75 (merit) and 85 (distinction). You get 1 point for a 65, 2 points for a 75 and 3 points for an 85, and your score for that year is a mean of those scores. You also get a pass, merit or distinction for R&S projects. Your overall score for the year is based on written exams + RS + OSCE. Fourth year is the most heavily weighted out of all the years.

There are also other essays you do like reflections etc but they don't count towards your overall degree beyond having to pass them. There are also online tests at the end of every 4-week block but again they are for you and don't count to your overall score.

Hope that wasn't too confusing! Let me know if you have any more questions

ReputationRep:
    Ah thanks that's really helpful. Looking forward to starting now.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.