Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    As a Liberal, do you believe that you can have an ideal liberal polity?

If so, does that entail some idea of the good? (Which liberal governments generally shouldn't presume)

If not, isn't that a contradiction in terms? (In that, your ideal political system is one without ideals?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    As a Liberal, do you believe that you can have an ideal liberal polity?

If so, does that entail some idea of the good? (Which liberal governments generally shouldn't presume)

If not, isn't that a contradiction in terms? (In that, your ideal political system is one without ideals?)
    Can anything ever really achieve 'ideal' status though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Queen Cersei)
    Can anything ever really achieve 'ideal' status though?
    No but you can have an idea of an ideal.

ReputationRep:
    Are you saying liberal as in economically liberal, socially liberal, a libertarian in terms of state power or a combination of all?

ReputationRep:
    You're gonna have to define what sorta liberal you're on about.
    No but you can have an idea of an ideal.
    gtfo plato

ReputationRep:
    BhagwanNoBhool
    Retired_Messiah

Any kind you'd care to incorporate

ReputationRep:
    BhagwanNoBhool
    Retired_Messiah

Any kind you'd care to incorporate
    Apologies for the late reply.
    Well I think if it's a combination of all liberal identities that would be an anarchist society which would then naturally lead to tribalism which would be extremely authoritarian conservative imo. Think of what's happening with rebel groups in the middle east, or warlords in Africa. So I don't think that's a possible ideal.

An ideal from a liberal perspective would have to be a compromise between the rights of the state, the people and corporations. Each would infringe on the others. So while there would be an ideal compromise, it wouldn't be ideal for any of the parties involved if that makes sense.

The other two are a bit more complicated imo, so I'll have to reply later about them once I've finished my work.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a classical Liberal so i will try to explain my point of view.

I'm a strong believer that: "No generally valid principle of legislation can be based on happiness" - Immanuel Kant
    This is because people gain happiness in different ways, so by increasing the happiness of some you decrease the happiness of others, this means that no-one can generate fixed principles that are equally applicable to everyone in order to increase their happiness. This then leads me to the conclusion that people will decide for themselves what is best for themselves and no government can decide that, however governments must still remain to protect the health and safety of the people within it's borders, so the solution is a style of government with some form of socialized healthcare, infrastructure, military/police/fire service, energy and water as well as some other basics. The government must refrain from implementing controls on the economy, free speech rights, religion etc.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.