Labour MP ejected from House of Commons for saying "Dodgy Dave"

Watch
JordanL_
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Labour MP Dennis Skinner called Our Glorious Leader "dodgy Dave" and was thrown out of the House of Commons.

It's perfectly fine for Our Glorious Leader to mock the opposition leader's clothing like a school bully when he's supposed to be answering questions, but if an opposition MP uses an unfavourable adjective he gets thrown out.

Are we living in ****ing North Korea?
The_Dragon_
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
He did it knowing he would get kicked out for more publicity; Skinner loves pulling stunts
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The rules of parliament are incredibly old. Nobody has an excuse for messing them up.

Digs are ok if done in a certain way, Skinner is perfectly well aware of this - as is everyone else.

It's laughable that you pick that to moan about rather than the pervading sender of childishness they all give off... But of course, it's a Labour party member and it's actually impossible for them to do anything that you'd disagree with.
JordanL_
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Drewski)
The rules of parliament are incredibly old. Nobody has an excuse for messing them up.

Digs are ok if done in a certain way, Skinner is perfectly well aware of this - as is everyone else.

It's laughable that you pick that to moan about rather than the pervading sender of childishness they all give off... But of course, it's a Labour party member and it's actually impossible for them to do anything that you'd disagree with.
U wot???? I don't like Labour and I think Jeremy Corbyn's an idiot (although I do respect him). What a strange assumption to make.
deta18dy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Seems a bit over the top for one remark!
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by deta18dy)
Seems a bit over the top for one remark!
It wasn't. It was the 5th. And he'd been warned on each previous occasion.
MR.ANONYMOUS 786
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's about bloody time someone put him in his place. If I were there I would've walked out with him and that is what the Labour Party should have done. The lack of unity within the Labour Party was clearly displayed today.
Fractite
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
He did create some humorous tweets though, no matter if people agreed or disagreed with him.
MR.ANONYMOUS 786
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Drewski)
It wasn't. It was the 5th. And he'd been warned on each previous occasion.
And his balls shall be respected till the end of time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
meenu89
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's about time Skinner retired- I respect him for his views, but not when he throws insults.
banterboy
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah,if you say something which is an allegation rather than banter without providing evidence before hand you get thrown out. It seems a fair rule to me. He'd of been given a chance to retract his statement.
Nameless Ghoul
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by meenu89)
It's about time Skinner retired- I respect him for his views, but not when he throws insults.
He should have retired 40 years ago then. He has always insulted.
Davij038
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Meh he's not even funny. Unfortunately, Osborne is still the wittiest person at Pmqs- though credit to Angela Eagle.

I think Skinners just some random tramp the good people of bolsover have elected for a laugh, like Jacob Rees Mogg.
Copperknickers
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by JordanL_)
Labour MP Dennis Skinner called Our Glorious Leader "dodgy Dave" and was thrown out of the House of Commons.

It's perfectly fine for Our Glorious Leader to mock the opposition leader's clothing like a school bully when he's supposed to be answering questions, but if an opposition MP uses an unfavourable adjective he gets thrown out.

Are we living in ****ing North Korea?
Name calling is not allowed in parliament. Giving someone a lecture on clothing is childish, but it's not technically name calling, so is within the rules.
username2337813
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This was hilarious ngl
Serine Soul
Badges: 18
Report 4 years ago
lol
Josb
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Cameron was 3yo when Skinner entered the Commons.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It was the second go he had when asked to withdraw that was the problem. He's made his point, withdraw and shut up.
username878267
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Davij038)
Meh he's not even funny. Unfortunately, Osborne is still the wittiest person at Pmqs- though credit to Angela Eagle.

I think Skinners just some random tramp the good people of bolsover have elected for a laugh, like Jacob Rees Mogg.
To be fair as MPs go the don't come more personality-full than Dennis Skinner. Like him or loathe him he's great to the house, thoroughly working class upbringings and as well as the funny comments has made some fantastic speeches and contributions. He knows what it's like growing up in poverty. He certainly says what he thinks, not what people want to hear and that's quite welcome in today's politics.

As to the contribution today, well without making a judgement on it per se, it seems a little ott to chuck someone out for use of the word 'dodgy'. How many times has Cameron called Labour members 'competent' or of wanting to 'bankrupt the country'. Only a few weeks ago he effectively called Corbyn a tramp. I don't recall him being chucked out. Not that he should have been but it seems weird to draw the line at 'dodgy' given what else is often said in the house.
username878267
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by meenu89)
It was hardly the worst insult and he's hardly the only one to do it. I don't see why the line was drawn at 'dodgy'. Cameron effectively called Corbyn a tramp a few weeks ago, is it any worse than that?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (44)
18.03%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (69)
28.28%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (92)
37.7%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (30)
12.3%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (9)
3.69%

Watched Threads