Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    could someone please check my answer for this question? There aren't any answers :/

NaHCO3 + HCl --> NaCl + H2O + CO2

3.53g sodium hydrogencarbonate was added to 30cm3 of 2mol/dm3 hydrochloric acid. The temperature fell by 10.3C. Work out which reagent was in excess and then calculate the energy change in kJ/mol.

This is what I did:
    HCl: 0.03dm3 * 2mol/dm3 = 0.06 mol
    NaHCO3: 0.06 mol should react (equation) but with the calculation (moles = mass/Mr) 0.04202... moles are present
    So HCl is in excess

Q=mc#T
    Q = 30 * 4.2 * 10.3 = 1297.8J = 1.2978kJ

enthalpy change: 1.2978/0.04.. = +30.8kJ/mol

*I got confused with which value for moles I was meant to use??*
    THANKS x

ReputationRep:
    bump?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by surina16)
    bump?
    Its fine assuming you havent made any arithmetic errors (i assumed you typed in everything correctly)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samb1234)
    Its fine assuming you havent made any arithmetic errors (i assumed you typed in everything correctly)
    great thank you i was just unsure if I was meant to use 0.06 or 0.042.. for moles at the end

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.