Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    It's my dream to go to bristol uni and to study psychology, however they ask for a gcse grade B in maths and english. i only got a C in maths, does this mean they wouldn't accept me even if i had the a-level requirements? if i retook gcse maths and got a B, would they still not accept me as i received a C the first time? I really will do anything to get in, even if it means retaking GCSE's. thanks
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by aliceronson)
    It's my dream to go to bristol uni and to study psychology, however they ask for a gcse grade B in maths and english. i only got a C in maths, does this mean they wouldn't accept me even if i had the a-level requirements? if i retook gcse maths and got a B, would they still not accept me as i received a C the first time? I really will do anything to get in, even if it means retaking GCSE's. thanks
    It's a possibility as unis can be a bit strict on GCSE requirements, best to just email admissions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliceronson)
    They might offer you a contextual if your A levels were good enough.
    A word of caution however - there is a good reason they ask for at least a B in maths. Bristol psychology is experimental-based rather than theory-based. A large part of each year is not only learning about fun things like perception, social influence, child development and so on but it's basically half statistics. There's lots of data inputting and outputting, analysing data, understanding mathematical models, carrying out an independent research project, and in first year there is even (or at least used to be) an exam in statistics so it involves actually learning about it too. You don't exactly have to calculate A level standard equations (as the course would then obviously require A level maths and it doesn't) but a lot of people I know complained in 1st year that it was more mathematical than they thought it was going to be. All these people had in common one thing - they didn't look into the course very much before applying!

The conclusion of my story is that I'm leaning more towards saying they won't be keen on a grade C maths GCSE but you don't know if you never ask.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.