Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The British Empire - was it worth it? watch

ReputationRep:
    What do you think?

Do you think it was worth it for Britain to have had it? Or not?

Thoughts, people!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not aware of any real impacts British Colonialism had on today's society other than potentially giving us our crippling tea addiction (and that might not even be accurate I'm spouting rubbish).

somebody pls educate

ReputationRep:
    I imagine that the rich Britons whose ancestors made it big via the exploitation of other countries people and resources would say it was well worth it.

ReputationRep:
    In terms of for Britain, ultimately, no. Look at where it got us now. We act like it didn't happen because, for some reason, people seem to be ashamed of it for some reason and the world treats us like we're just a worthless country despite we practically built up the superpowers of the modern world.

"Arrogance is what made the British Empire.... And lost it.... And then pretended it never happened."

In terms of the world now, yeah, I think it was. English is the dominant language or whatever and western culture is the dominate culture in about 60% of the world now, all because of the foundations laid down by the British Empire.

ReputationRep:
    Was it worth it well yes, While all the slavery was bad and everything its pro's outweigh the cons. We created nations and we brought the industrial age to a start (not that other countries didn't help)
    We improved a lot of places and we did what any good nation would do, colonize and expand becoming the biggest empire ever, we cemented our self in world politics for the future.
    and the history of the empire is totally fascinating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by similarBlank)
    In terms of for Britain, ultimately, no. Look at where it got us now. We act like it didn't happen because, for some reason, people seem to be ashamed of it for some reason and the world treats us like we're just a worthless country despite we practically built up the superpowers of the modern world.

"Arrogance is what made the British Empire.... And lost it.... And then pretended it never happened."

In terms of the world now, yeah, I think it was. English is the dominant language or whatever and western culture is the dominate culture in about 60% of the world now, all because of the foundations laid down by the British Empire.
    Yeah good point, the fall of the empire was rather sad and really was a shock for Britain and seeing what it once was is kinda sad, but you have to remember without that Britain would just be a smallish island with not much significance today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retired_Messiah)
    I'm not aware of any real impacts British Colonialism had on today's society other than potentially giving us our crippling tea addiction (and that might not even be accurate I'm spouting rubbish).

somebody pls educate
    Nah, it doesn't have any proper impacts for today

but it allows middle classed Britons to feel "pride" about how much power Britain once had

Pfft. Stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZiggyStarDust_)
    Nah, it doesn't have any proper impacts for today

but it allows middle classed Britons to feel "pride" about how much power Britain once had

Pfft. Stupid.
    Sounds pretty pointless.

Did it do the tea tho? I need to know if facts I pull outta my ass are any good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by similarBlank)

Can I just say, your profile picture is absolutely 100% sexy.

Secondly.
    I can see why people are ashamed of the British Empire considering the made people from their own countries slaves. There was a lot of corruption in there - it wasn't all about being powerful and almightly.

Also mandarin Chinese is the most dominant language not English.

but cool stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds pretty pointless.

Did it do the tea tho? I need to know if facts I pull outta my ass are any good
    It did do the whole tea thing, yup. We got tea from India.

So yeah, you should carry on pulling facts from your ass. It's doing you good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AperfectBalance)
    Yeah good point, the fall of the empire was rather sad and really was a shock for Britain and seeing what it once was is kinda sad, but you have to remember without that Britain would just be a smallish island with not much significance today.
    Like SimilarBlank, you too also have a very 100% sexy profile picture.

You see the fall of the empire as sad? I see it as a relief. Sure, Britain had control. But it was stopping other countries from having their own independence. And that sucks, man

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CCC75)
    I imagine that the rich Britons whose ancestors made it big via the exploitation of other countries people and resources would say it was well worth it.
    Totally agree with this ^

ReputationRep:
    It did do the whole tea thing, yup. We got tea from India.

So yeah, you should carry on pulling facts from your ass. It's doing you good.
    he British Empire was bad then as it forced everybody to drink tea and now there's a huge social pressure on me to start drinking it even tho the taste is bland af

I'm gettin to the real issues here.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't have been born otherwise, so I'm happy.

ReputationRep:
    he British Empire was bad then as it forced everybody to drink tea and now there's a huge social pressure on me to start drinking it even tho the taste is bland af

I'm gettin to the real issues here.
    wow, keep talking like that and you might even sound like a proper politician. Amazing.

but tea isn't bland though(ouch), i can't believe you actually just posted that

some of us are dedicated tea drinkers, you know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinasaurus)
    what's so special about your existence

wouldn't you sacrifice yourself for the good of the other countries
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    English being the official language (or second) in many countries, I guess. I know that Chinese Mandarin takes the share, but English is the leading international language (in almost every professional area).

The Empire brought blood and suffering to millions, but it also brought railways, roads and education. For good or ill, much of the world is the way it is today because of the Empire, from the way it looks, to the sports people play, from the religion we practise, to the language we speak.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/clips/zh4pb9q

Bit of research: https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=impact%20of%20british%20empi re

For better or worse, the British Empire has definitely had an impact on the world to the way it is now. It's still controversial today when discussed and you could carry on arguing both sides. It has both its positives and negatives.

How come this is in the Chat forum?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinasaurus)
    Same, I'm also grateful for the success this country's achieved through colonialism because it means I can have the quality of life I do now.

ReputationRep:
    what's so special about your existence

wouldn't you sacrifice yourself for the good of the other countries
    Not personally no, you're saying you would?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Highly beneficial, particularly for Britain due to the trade benefits leading to greater wealth

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.