Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,
    Can STR help me with choosing my 4 A-levels for the next school year. I'm really into Politics & Government and I'll most likely do International Relations at Uni. I do want to go to a Russel Group Uni. Possibly Bristol/Bath.
    I've been deliberating about whether to take English Lit or not. A couple friends in 6th form have told me to only take it if I will really enjoy it. I know it goes well with Int Relations but I'm not passionate about Literature. Do I need to take it? Please note that I do NOT want to take a math! Definitely my weak subject.
    Here are my choices (as of now) for AS:
    History
    Spanish
    Government & Politics

4th one I'm not sure about. Economics? (is that math intensive?), Business Studies? Maybe Geography (or is that too many essay-based classes?)

Feedback is much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Perfect subjects! And yes, economics is great too. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to take English Lit. Although it would be useful as it helps your essay writing and analytical skills, you don't have to take it if you really don't want to.

Your subjects are fine. I think Economics would be a good choice and although I don't have any experience with it, I've heard many people say that there's barely any maths involved

Make sure you're choosing subjects that you want to do and that you know you will enjoy! Don't feel forced to take anything you don't want to as you probably won't want to revise for them thus you won't do as well.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I might do Int Relations at uni and I've chosen to do History, Politics, Economics and French.
    I was being pressured to do Eng Lit but when politics and history are essay-extensive, I thought it unnecessary as it isn't a subject I enjoy that much anyway.
    I do economics at GCSE and have begun looking into the AS scheme of work and its really basic maths at most e.g. percentage calculations etc.

ReputationRep:
    Good feedback so far. Thanks a lot. Keep the feedback coming! Seems like not taking English Lit isn't too big of a problem?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by max.pietra)
    Hi Guys,
    Can STR help me with choosing my 4 A-levels for the next school year. I'm really into Politics & Government and I'll most likely do International Relations at Uni. I do want to go to a Russel Group Uni. Possibly Bristol/Bath.
    I've been deliberating about whether to take English Lit or not. A couple friends in 6th form have told me to only take it if I will really enjoy it. I know it goes well with Int Relations but I'm not passionate about Literature. Do I need to take it? Please note that I do NOT want to take a math! Definitely my weak subject.
    Here are my choices (as of now) for AS:
    History
    Spanish
    Government & Politics

4th one I'm not sure about. Economics? (is that math intensive?), Business Studies? Maybe Geography (or is that too many essay-based classes?)

Feedback is much appreciated!
    Economics is not maths intensive at all - its mainly interpreting graphs and doing basic calculations, e.g. working out percentages. AS would be useful but A2 would be even more useful, as it's about the global economy, which ties in well with international relations. My friend in my economics class does geography and she says that it is quite similar to economics in certain topics. Have you look at the spec your school would be following for these subjects?

I do Edexcel economics and government and politics btw.

ReputationRep:
    Good feedback so far. Thanks a lot. Keep the feedback coming! Seems like not taking English Lit isn't too big of a problem?
    Definitely not.
    You should check the universities' course pages because they'll provide details with what A-Levels you need and what they prefer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blackdiamond97)
    Economics is not maths intensive at all - its mainly interpreting graphs and doing basic calculations, e.g. working out percentages. AS would be useful but A2 would be even more useful, as it's about the global economy, which ties in well with international relations. My friend in my economics class does geography and she says that it is quite similar to economics in certain topics. Have you look at the spec your school would be following for these subjects?

I do Edexcel economics and government and politics btw.
    Great feedback. I know for sure that the school does Edexcel for Gov and Politics. I'm trying to find out about the others but no luck so far. AQA for Geography though. Would you do Economics or Geography for the 4th? You metioned that Economics at A2 is useful but I will probably drop a course at A2 and my 4th A-level would probably be the one I drop..
    Thanks again for the feedback.

ReputationRep:
    Great feedback. I know for sure that the school does Edexcel for Gov and Politics. I'm trying to find out about the others but no luck so far. AQA for Geography though. Would you do Economics or Geography for the 4th? You metioned that Economics at A2 is useful but I will probably drop a course at A2 and my 4th A-level would probably be the one I drop..
    Thanks again for the feedback.
    I'm probably not a good person to ask that question to as I don't do geography and I'm biased towards economics as I'm hopefully starting it as part of my degree in September. I don't think taking one over the other would have a major (if any) disadvantage though. If anything, I would say to drop politics at the end of AS - there are different optional topics in A2 and most schools tend to go for learning about political ideologies because they're the easiest modules lol. It's so boring and it's far less relevant to international relations than either economics or geography.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.