Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

A2 Edexcel music watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    how did everyone find the analysis paper??? i did keyboard music and Beethoven and i found it sooo difficult! my teacher only told me last wee kthat the focus of the paper was structure!
    the listening was ok until the last question- what did everyone put? the first question i found tough, but it was lovely to hear queen!

views everyone??

ReputationRep:
    when i heard queen it kinda was a bit funny. i carried listening to make sure :P

the analysis was just far too much for two hours. I personnally own up to illegible ugly calligraphy because i just had so much to write. i hope i get decent marks, i know they weren't amazing though.

and the last part o the question.... i fluked it.

ReputationRep:
    i'm pleased with how it went - i did large ensemble and sacred vocal music and those questions and the question for section 2 we'd done as a practise essays. i thought the listening was ok - glad it WAS queen, thought i'd look really silly if it wasn't! i got the melodic dictation and fragments for Q3, guessed randomly at the fill the gap bit. the piece for q 2 our teacher had played us as practise as well. she guessed opera would come up! just glad it's over now.

ReputationRep:
    I thought the aural paper was a really nice one.
    I also did music for large ensemble, we were quite lucky with the Berlioz questions because we had specifically studied how the opening was folk-like and the harmony at the beginning of the B section.

That last piece was Beethoven's 2nd piano concerto. Rather luckily I had heard it before (and the same with the Queen of the Night Aria from the Magic Flute by Mozart, I had to accompany someone singing this once!)

Here's a few answers our teacher told us afterwards:

1) It was Corelli apparently, but Vivaldi/Purcell would have probably been acceptable, date should have been about 1710ish. It was a TRIO SONATA (i.e. 2 soloists + continuo)

2) Queen, 1984.

3) Minimalism, 1986 (I put 1966 ), John Adams, but Cage or Glass would probably have been OK.

4) It was Mozart's the Magic Flute, an Opera.

5) Beethoven's 2nd piano concerto, a date around 1800-1810 would have been right (it was earlier Beethoven music). Public performance in concert hall (incidentally, did anyone notice the conductor speaking in it near the beginning?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie Frost)
    I also did music for large ensemble, we were quite lucky with the Berlioz questions because we had specifically studied how the opening was folk-like and the harmony at the beginning of the B section.

That last piece was Beethoven's 2nd piano concerto. Rather luckily I had heard it before (and the same with the Queen of the Night Aria from the Magic Flute by Mozart, I had to accompany someone singing this once!)

1) It was Corelli apparently, but Vivaldi/Purcell would have probably been acceptable, date should have been about 1710ish. It was a TRIO SONATA (i.e. 2 soloists + continuo)

2) Queen, 1984.

3) Minimalism, 1986 (I put 1966 ), John Adams, but Cage or Glass would probably have been OK.

5) Beethoven's 2nd piano concerto, a date around 1800-1810 would have been right (it was earlier Beethoven music). Public performance in concert hall (incidentally, did anyone notice the conductor speaking in it near the beginning?)
    sweet! i got corelli, and minimalism, i put schoenberg though, and put 66, but we might get one mark because there was 2? and i put mozart...i put 1790 for the last one too. feeling good now!

ReputationRep:

2) Queen, 1984.

omg! u've made me feel so much better- i put michael nyman for the minimalism, but i put everything else, a lot of people in my class put wagner cos they were thrown by the german in the second of the two arias- but then it was by one composer- so thats a bit dumb cos mozart wrote in both italian and german, also people in my class are saying that it was a mozart piano concerto but i really thought it was beethoven! thank you for making me feel better!

ReputationRep:
    You might aswell say it was Robbie Williams than put Wagner . I can't think of anything less Wagner like!
    As for thinking the piano concerto was Mozart, it's an easy mistake to make (but might still get you the mark anyway).

Did anyone attempt the rhythm of the bassline on the notation thing? I usually would instead of finding the fragments, but I found it impossible to make out, and everyone else seemed to have the same problem. Fortunately the fragments weren't too hard to find - the first was in the 3rd of bar of when the piano comes in I think, the second was on the 1st/2nd page (it was the F minor broken chord) and the third (the falling bassline melody) was on the second to last page near the bottom, where the notation showed a few bars of just the same semiquaver.

Chords in the piano were F7/Eb and Bb/D i think (I'm fairly sure of that).
    I think I remember a Gdim7 chord somewhere.
    I also think I put an imperfect cadence in Bb minor when it asked for the cadence and key.
    But the above answers are just my answers, not THE answers.

ReputationRep:
    You might aswell say it was Robbie Williams than put Wagner . I can't think of anything less Wagner like!
    As for thinking the piano concerto was Mozart, it's an easy mistake to make (but might still get you the mark anyway).

Did anyone attempt the rhythm of the bassline on the notation thing? I usually would instead of finding the fragments, but I found it impossible to make out, and everyone else seemed to have the same problem. Fortunately the fragments weren't too hard to find - the first was in the 3rd of bar of when the piano comes in I think, the second was on the 1st/2nd page (it was the F minor broken chord) and the third (the falling bassline melody) was on the second to last page near the bottom, where the notation showed a few bars of just the same semiquaver.

Chords in the piano were F7/Eb and Bb/D i think (I'm fairly sure of that).
    I think I remember a Gdim7 chord somewhere.
    I also think I put an imperfect cadence in Bb minor when it asked for the cadence and key.
    But the above answers are just my answers, not THE answers.
    i put imperfect but i think i put d minor in the end. i think we'll get one mark for mozart - right period! i found the fragments straight away but couldn't hear the rhythm, it was disguised but i'm guessing it was the same as the next line that you could hear? i put chords VI and V but i'm poo at that, and i put dim 7 too. only two more exams to go now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allisandro)
    i put imperfect but i think i put d minor in the end. i think we'll get one mark for mozart - right period! i found the fragments straight away but couldn't hear the rhythm, it was disguised but i'm guessing it was the same as the next line that you could hear? i put chords VI and V but i'm poo at that, and i put dim 7 too. only two more exams to go now!

i put IV and V!!! but i'm also rubbish at that! seemed like an educated guess! but i also put dim 7th things weren't that terrible afterall, although my teacher forgot about fragments so i had to do the rhythm, and it was soo hard!

ReputationRep:
    They were just root position V - I chords in Bb major. The other chord was C# dim 7 and it was a perfect in Bb minor. The rhythm was very hard to detect I have to say.

ReputationRep:
    The problem with the dimished chord is that Gmin7 and C#dim7 contain the same notes. But there was a G in the bass clef, so I'm guessing it was Gmin7.
    I'll find the midi file (on classicalarchives.com) and check the harmony. It's his 2nd piano concerto for anyone who wants to look it up.

ReputationRep:
    This really is not early beethoven. It is often referred to as middle period.

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicboy)
    This really is not early beethoven. It is often referred to as middle period.

MB
    but someone looked when it was written.

ReputationRep:
    The problem with the dimished chord is that Gmin7 and C#dim7 contain the same notes. But there was a G in the bass clef, so I'm guessing it was Gmin7.
    I'll find the midi file (on classicalarchives.com) and check the harmony. It's his 2nd piano concerto for anyone who wants to look it up.
    You mean Gdim7 and C#dim7 have the same notes?

ReputationRep:
    musicman, I'm afraid you're wrong.

http://www.jamiefrost.co.uk/images/misc/beet1.gif

This was taken directly from the score. As you can see, the 2 chords in the piano were DEFINITELY F7/Eb and Bb/D (i.e. V7d and Ib).
    It wasn't a C#dim7, I checked the bassline and it contained a G, therefore the chord is Gdim7.

[Edit. Sorry, I meant Gdim7 in the previous post not Gmin7]

ReputationRep:
    musicman, I'm afraid you're wrong.

http://www.jamiefrost.co.uk/images/misc/beet1.gif

This was taken directly from the score. As you can see, the 2 chords in the piano were DEFINITELY F7/Eb and Bb/D (i.e. V7d and Ib).
    It wasn't a C#dim7, I checked the bassline and it contained a G, therefore the chord is Gdim7.

[Edit. Sorry, I meant Gdim7 in the previous post not Gmin7]
    Oooh how disgraceful of me....off with my head!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicman)
    Oooh how disgraceful of me....off with my head!

fiest!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Well you were kinda asking for it when you corrected me with wrong answers

ReputationRep:
    i didn't! i have no idea what was the right answer! but if someone is looking at the score maybe u should admit defeat?!?!!? i dunno! just glad it's over! i can now listen to music without feeling the need to analyse it at every minute! thank g-d i'm not doing it at uni!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I was referring to musicman.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.