Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How do you feel about people copying your notes? watch

ReputationRep:
    I don't usually mind when people work hard but I hate when they do not attend lessons regularly and make me allow them to copy their notes. What would you do about this? I don't know how to say no...Am I worrying about nothing? What is your opinion on this?

ReputationRep:
    They can piss off

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SGHD26716)
    They can piss off
    I never know how to say no. What can I do? It bothers me a lot and irritates me knowing Im spending my time working hard and they do nothing but benefit a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CSL123)
    I don't usually mind when people work hard but I hate when they do not attend lessons regularly and make me allow them to copy their notes. What would you do about this? I don't know how to say no...Am I worrying about nothing? What is your opinion on this?
    There's this [email protected] who used to sit next to me in history who always look over at my work and pretend that she wasn't and it was so annoying. She was the sort of person who turns up late and gives absolutely 0 effort to anything (apart from getting a boyfriend).

ReputationRep:
    I'll give them my notes and then ask for them back in an hour, if I like the person.
    Or i'll send them a blurry image.
    Or i'll tell them to actually bother making their own.

Don't really like people using my efforts as their own.

ReputationRep:
    I don't care really but I guess it sucks when they get a better mark because I have a terrible memory and can't even remember all of my notes.
    I've never really borrowed anyone elses because I find it awkward, like if I missed a lecture that's my problem and I may not understand the little different things they do.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I never know how to say no. What can I do? It bothers me a lot and irritates me knowing Im spending my time working hard and they do nothing but benefit a lot.
    find a bad copy of notes for the topic (try the internet or your rough copy) and give it to them. Then keep your own good quality to yourself. Or make them earn it. If you give me x I'll let you copy my notes. They might find someone else to copy if they have to put in effort to it.

ReputationRep:
    I once gave someone notes on an essay we were going to do.

When we actually did the essay, almost the entire class used the examples and sources I researched myself as opposed to the ones we were already given (which I felt were lacking).

So I made up my mind after this to stop handing out my work to anybody. You just have to put your foot down. You aren't in the wrong in this situation, they are.

ReputationRep:
    True, but does anyone actually lose out as a result of them copying your notes? Isn't there only the extra benefit you're providing for the person you are letting copy your notes (assuming that letting them copy your notes isn't a big inconvenience, or putting them at risk of getting lost)?

ReputationRep:
    Flattered

ReputationRep:
    I have bad hand writing but good quality notes

ReputationRep:
    It's basically the same as you, it just pisses me off when they don't attend lessons and then expect me to give them my notes :/ Honestly, I don't say no either but sometimes I just want to but I think that would be quite rude.

ReputationRep:
    Not fussed, so long as I get them back

It helps them, and I'd want to be able to catch up if I was ill. Can't see why you wouldn't allow it, really

ReputationRep:
    leavingthecity

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supersaps)
    leavingthecity
    They're not free by the way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leavingthecity)
    They're not free by the way
    My considerable wit, charm & conversation should be more than enough payment.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    It doesn't bother me at all.

ReputationRep:
    Other people make better notes than me so no-one's gonna be copying mine :rofl:

Quite happy to show people my maths solutions though, I'm always pretty proud of my solutions on longer/more difficult questions

ReputationRep:
    Class notes?

Well, considering I miss quite a lot of lessons.. I require my classmates to be willing to give me theirs so I can copy up stuff. I mean, it's really not that much of a big deal, is it? Otherwise how would I possibly be able to keep up.. ?

Why would you say no? I don't get it.- I think you're being silly.

ReputationRep:
    You are allowing them to exploit you. Just say no once and if they have some shame they won't ask again.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.