Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am on my final placement with 5 weeks to go before I go on to complete some time in Post-16. I know that there are many people in a similar position but I just feel that I'm not cut out for teaching. It takes me ages to come up with ideas for lessons and coupled with poor time management means I'm up till midnight most nights planning for the next day (2 lessons still to get planned tonight). I really struggle to control a class and I'm sick of having to raise my voice to get them to be quiet. Even when I use behaviour techniques like writing their names on the board it just causes them to argue back and sometimes makes jokes and I jus tfeel like a laughing stock. Today, I had a moderately unruly class and I didn't even have the energy to raise my voice. I ended up with my head in my hands which surprisingly got them to listen.
    I set detentions but I find it so hard to keep track of what I'm doing that they often aren't enforced.

I'm currently at RI at every standard but will need to be good within 5 weeks. I haven't been placed on cause for concern ye tbut I feel that it's inevitable. I've been told that I have taught some good lessons and my PM was impressed on the one occasion they observed but they agree with my view that I am inconsistent. I still need the classt eachers to step in sometimes and I dread being left alone with a class. I would say I have enjoyed maybe one or two lessons but that for most of it I am just anxiously looking at the clock waiting for it to end. I don't enjoy planning much either or really get excited about coming up with ideas like teachers say they do sometimes.I haven't filed anything for weeks, I could probably catch up with thatquite quickly but I just hate myself for having been so unorganised. My finalessay is looming as well which I have barely thought about,I'm feeling a little bit better tonight but over the Easter holidays the stress really got to me and I started feeling really down and thinking about killing myself, which I had around December last year on my first placement. Iwouldn't act on these thoughts but I need to see a doctor. I just feel like I will end up getting nowhere and that I can't handle any job.

I just don't know what's going to happen to me - maybe I can get intercalate but I just don't know if my situation is bad enough. I hear of people having panic attack etc and crying every day. I have cried once or twice and always feel myself tearing up in front of my mentor when I want to tell her how badly it's going. They are aware that I'm struggling a bit and I don't feel I couldhave any more support - I haven't told them that I think my mental health is on the fritz as it seems like oversharing. Today in school I just felt like a nervous wreck. I just worry that maybe I'm just lazyand "allergic to hard work" or something.

This all said, I know I enjoy teaching in some capacity...but I don't like big classes or the noisy hubbub of a secondary school. Do you know if there is anything else I can go into with my PGCE? If I even complete it tha tis, I just don't know if I can even pass at this point. I feel like the school aren't being honest about how terrible I really am.Massive thanks to anyone who reads this. Any words of advice will be really appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Can you summarise a short review as that is a lot of information?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samiz20891)
    Can you summarise a short review as that is a lot of information?
    Really sorry, I somehow managed to copy and paste over and over again. I have edited it now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qerty123)
    I am on my final placement with 5 weeks to go before I go on to complete some time in Post-16. I know that there are many people in a similar position but I just feel that I'm not cut out for teaching. It takes me ages to come up with ideas for lessons and coupled with poor time management means I'm up till midnight most nights planning for the next day (2 lessons still to get planned tonight). I really struggle to control a class and I'm sick of having to raise my voice to get them to be quiet. Even when I use behaviour techniques like writing their names on the board it just causes them to argue back and sometimes makes jokes and I jus tfeel like a laughing stock. Today, I had a moderately unruly class and I didn't even have the energy to raise my voice. I ended up with my head in my hands which surprisingly got them to listen.
    I set detentions but I find it so hard to keep track of what I'm doing that they often aren't enforced.

I'm currently at RI at every standard but will need to be good within 5 weeks. I haven't been placed on cause for concern ye tbut I feel that it's inevitable. I've been told that I have taught some good lessons and my PM was impressed on the one occasion they observed but they agree with my view that I am inconsistent. I still need the classt eachers to step in sometimes and I dread being left alone with a class. I would say I have enjoyed maybe one or two lessons but that for most of it I am just anxiously looking at the clock waiting for it to end. I don't enjoy planning much either or really get excited about coming up with ideas like teachers say they do sometimes.I haven't filed anything for weeks, I could probably catch up with thatquite quickly but I just hate myself for having been so unorganised. My finalessay is looming as well which I have barely thought about,I'm feeling a little bit better tonight but over the Easter holidays the stress really got to me and I started feeling really down and thinking about killing myself, which I had around December last year on my first placement. Iwouldn't act on these thoughts but I need to see a doctor. I just feel like I will end up getting nowhere and that I can't handle any job.

I just don't know what's going to happen to me - maybe I can get intercalate but I just don't know if my situation is bad enough. I hear of people having panic attack etc and crying every day. I have cried once or twice and always feel myself tearing up in front of my mentor when I want to tell her how badly it's going. They are aware that I'm struggling a bit and I don't feel I couldhave any more support - I haven't told them that I think my mental health is on the fritz as it seems like oversharing. Today in school I just felt like a nervous wreck. I just worry that maybe I'm just lazyand "allergic to hard work" or something.

This all said, I know I enjoy teaching in some capacity...but I don't like big classes or the noisy hubbub of a secondary school. Do you know if there is anything else I can go into with my PGCE? If I even complete it tha tis, I just don't know if I can even pass at this point. I feel like the school aren't being honest about how terrible I really am.Massive thanks to anyone who reads this. Any words of advice will be really appreciated.
    Total Sympathy.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to hear this.

I'd advise you to try and get through it and pass if that's possible. You're so close - once you finish you can have a long summer to reassess and make your next choice. At least you'll have the qualification and can use it to show you are resilient and have lots of good work skills to offer other employers if you decide against teaching.

I do know how hard the training year can be - and I also know how awful you can feel and no one really knows but you. Don't do anything drastic - make sure you talk to someone close to you about how you are feeling, bottling it up is the worst thing you can do.

ReputationRep:
    You are in the same position as a lot of trainees these days (and a lot of qualified teachers!)

Get through it, the finish line is nearly there and at the end of it you will have the qualification. You can use it to help you get into any other career you want, nobody will know if you graduated as outstanding in every lesson you did or if you just about made it through.

Don't feel like you have failed, you have nearly made it through a very tough and intensive training course, well done! If you think teaching isn't for you then you have nothing to feel guilty about!

ReputationRep:
    Completely agree with the above.

ReputationRep:
    Qerty123

So sad reading your post. Please stick with it, the end is so near. You mentioned you enjoyed teaching. There are options out there once you qualify, like teaching booster groups, small intervention groups etc.
    Have you considered primary teaching?
    Different problems but more manageable behaviour issues (i have worked in primary and secondary and a PRU). Supply teaching might be an option you normally do not have to plan, just teach, Mark and go.
    Share your thoughts with someone around you. At the end of the day it is difficult for most students. Many feel bogged down and depressed but it does get easier and you definitely have choices.
    Inbox me if you need any further advice or have any questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.