Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 10 and I think I want to study medicine. All my grades are predicted A/A* and I have no idea about my A levels. Is it realistic to set my hopes on medicine? I couldn't imagine doing anything else but I'm worried about not getting the right A-levels and being stuck with no choices. I always hear stories about people getting amazing grades and then being turned down. Also, I'm worried about doing work experience in somewhere to do with medicine e.g a hospital, and then it having no relevance to any other careers if I get the wrong grades. I know you're supposed to 'dream big' but I'm scared in case I do, and then don't get accepted. Right now I'm a cadet with St John Ambulance, is there anything else I could be doing to raise my chances of doing medicine?

Sorry I rambled a bit. Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kimstudying)
    I'm in year 10 and I think I want to study medicine. All my grades are predicted A/A* and I have no idea about my A levels. Is it realistic to set my hopes on medicine? I couldn't imagine doing anything else but I'm worried about not getting the right A-levels and being stuck with no choices. I always hear stories about people getting amazing grades and then being turned down. Also, I'm worried about doing work experience in somewhere to do with medicine e.g a hospital, and then it having no relevance to any other careers if I get the wrong grades. I know you're supposed to 'dream big' but I'm scared in case I do, and then don't get accepted. Right now I'm a cadet with St John Ambulance, is there anything else I could be doing to raise my chances of doing medicine?

Sorry I rambled a bit. Thank you!
    Well, you won't know til you give it a go!

At the moment you've not got any GCSEs that we can comment on but being predicted As and A*s is definitely the right track to be on. Applying for medical school is a step by step process over many years. Right now I don't think there's anything you need to be focused on apart from doing well in GCSEs (and enjoying life).

Clinical work experience etc shouldn't be your concern now - if for no other reason because most hospitals require you to be 17 or 18 to do clinical shadowing. Start thinking about that stuff at the beginning of year 12.

Even if you decide that medicine isn't for you, work experience in a hospital would still show you some generic work skills (teamwork, communication, etc) that would be useful in many different jobs.

But like I say, there's no need to worry about that bit of the application yet.

As for A levels: biology, chemistry and another are what you need for medical school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k.m.b)
    I'd definitely say you're capable. If you are passionate about it then I'd say go for it- even with taking mainly STEM A-levels- you'd still be keeping your pathway open to different degrees. And you don't have to have WEX in a hospital, it can be anything to show you're a caring individual who is willing to help people.
    Thank you! I've always been passionate about helping people, but I've always been scared about not getting the grades. I'll just have to see how my exams go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    Well, you won't know til you give it a go!

At the moment you've not got any GCSEs that we can comment on but being predicted As and A*s is definitely the right track to be on. Applying for medical school is a step by step process over many years. Right now I don't think there's anything you need to be focused on apart from doing well in GCSEs (and enjoying life).

Clinical work experience etc shouldn't be your concern now - if for no other reason because most hospitals require you to be 17 or 18 to do clinical shadowing. Start thinking about that stuff at the beginning of year 12.

Even if you decide that medicine isn't for you, work experience in a hospital would still show you some generic work skills (teamwork, communication, etc) that would be useful in many different jobs.

But like I say, there's no need to worry about that bit of the application yet.

As for A levels: biology, chemistry and another are what you need for medical school.

Thank you! I'll just have to see how everything goes and hope for the best.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.