Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Reality and criticism of drug-induced enlightenment Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm trying to find a convincing argument that "in healthy sobriety, what you experience is all part of reality, up to feelings/moods about what you experience", and an argument against the idea that recreational drugs can induce enlightenment, followed by an argument for mathematics/science as the route to understand more of reality.

I have thought of lots of things but nothing really convincing. For the second one about drug-induced enlightenment, I was thinking that you could use a probability argument to show that the probability of finding the drug-taking path leading to a complete view of reality, given the possible non-existence of such a combination and also the number of drug combinations, is close to zero.

ReputationRep:
    nobody up to the challenge?

ReputationRep:
    Are you saying that using illegal drugs can help with religious meditation or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ODES_PDES)
    Are you saying that using illegal drugs can help with religious meditation or something?
    No I define enlightenment as "getting closer to the correct view of reality"...which doesn't necessarily have anything to do with religion, as far as i can see

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by realconfusionman)
    "getting closer to the correct view of reality".
    What exactly do you mean by reality?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ODES_PDES)
    What exactly do you mean by reality?
    how things actually are

ReputationRep:
    how things actually are
    Reality is subjective.

ReputationRep:
    Why do I feel like the OP is really incoherent? Doesn't make sense to me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    Reality is subjective.
    no it isn't

ReputationRep:
    no it isn't
    Not everyone's reality is the same. Your correct view of reality may be completely different to another person's. Until you realise that you can never truly understand reality.

ReputationRep:
    I'm trying to find a convincing argument that "in healthy sobriety, what you experience is all part of reality, up to feelings/moods about what you experience", and an argument against the idea that recreational drugs can induce enlightenment, followed by an argument for mathematics/science as the route to understand more of reality.
    From personal experience it depends on the types of drug and how well the person's sober mind perceives the reality of situations around them. If the person has a tendency to overthink things and worry about things that aren't actually a concern, then a drug with calming, relaxing effects may - by chilling them out - remove that block in their mind that causes the tension so that they view the situation closer to how it really is. Similar effect with painkillers and drugs that induce sleep ... it may not cause people to see reality directly but it can temporarily remove physical and mental issues (anxiety, pain, insomnia etc) that prevents people from seeing reality with a clean mind.

Other substances like the amphetamines and hallucinogens will cause euphoria rather than enlightenment, and distort the perception of reality.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 12, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.