Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

My friend and I are planning on going to South East Asia next year and are looking to do some volunteering whilst we are out there. We have looked into TEFL and are still interested in doing that, yet are not sure what course we would need to do, as they really range.

We really want to do some volunteering in Thailand, yet all the websites online are saying prices from £300- £1000. We aren't looking to pay to volunteer, but would be happy to contribute whilst being there, for accommodation etc. And of course the work we will be doing, whether it be with animals, the community or labour work. We are also want to make sure that any work we will be doing will be ethical, and giving back to the community in some way.

We would love to hear any suggestions and experiences about what companies to search for and look into.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AsiaTravellers)
    Hi

My friend and I are planning on going to South East Asia next year and are looking to do some volunteering whilst we are out there. We have looked into TEFL and are still interested in doing that, yet are not sure what course we would need to do, as they really range.

We really want to do some volunteering in Thailand, yet all the websites online are saying prices from £300- £1000. We aren't looking to pay to volunteer, but would be happy to contribute whilst being there, for accommodation etc. And of course the work we will be doing, whether it be with animals, the community or labour work. We are also want to make sure that any work we will be doing will be ethical, and giving back to the community in some way.

We would love to hear any suggestions and experiences about what companies to search for and look into.

Thanks!
    It will vary a lot. For what you are wanting it for you won't need to spend too much for it. Especially as Thailand isn't too picky compared to some places for qualifications and volunteers even less so.
    There is so much to say on the topic but don't want to bore you here. Please feel free to PM me though.
    Also I realised that there is not really any impartial information, it is all written for the benefit of the writer rather than the reader and probably the thing seems confusing and contradictory to the others. For this reason I have tried writing several blog posts about TEFL based on my own experiences over the last 5 years - www.thenewcarly.wordpress.com.
    I don't know if these are of any use to you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.