Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

£13,000 Trainee Accountant salary London? Update watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I thought I'd give a quick update on my current situation since I made that post 8 months ago as I've had a few people message me about where I am at.

What happened next? I accepted the job but really struggled with it. There was no structure to the training, learn on the job, and the management we're horrible. Shouting and pressuring me for every mistake I made. My confidence went from bad to worse. But I still stuck at it as I've never given up at anything. 3 months on and I got to a point where I felt like I was heavily depressed. Didn't want to get out of bed to go to work. Lost a lot of weight as I wasn't eating properly. And to make matters worse my mum was horribly ill. Still I was going into work. Didn't tell the manager about my situation because they would have seen it as an excuse. But the final straw came when my manager kept shouting relentlessly at me for a mistake I made. Decided that was it and decided to leave. Never felt so relieved in my life even though I was unemployed having to look after myself in London.

Next few months I was completely lost on what I wanted to do. Didn't believe in myself to pursue a career in Accounting in fact didnt believe in myself to succeed in anything. I guess I was severly depressed at this point.

Moved out of Central London. Started applying for minimum wage jobs and was working behind the till at a fast food restaurant not to long after. Actually enjoyed working there and made some very good friends. 2 months in, my confidence slowly started coming back and I applied to work in the Finance department of a well known fast food chain. Got to the interview and I was completely honest about my whole situation, first time I wasnt nervous about the outcome but just wanted them to know who I was. Next day got the call for the second interview and was offered the job on the spot. I've been working there for the past few months and I could not be happier. Management are so supportive, great working environment, good training and so much better salary.

I guess the best decision I made was to take a step back in my career which allowed me to move forward.

Its been such a struggle to get to where I am at today from A Levels to University to working life but one thats taught me so much. Hopefully this next chaptor in my life is a successful one.

ReputationRep:
    I would have thought £13000 is low but I have no experience in the accounting area
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by ItTakes2meNu)
    I thought I'd give a quick update on my current situation since I made that post 8 months ago as I've had a few people message me about where I am at.

What happened next? I accepted the job but really struggled with it. There was no structure to the training, learn on the job, and the management we're horrible. Shouting and pressuring me for every mistake I made. My confidence went from bad to worse. But I still stuck at it as I've never given up at anything. 3 months on and I got to a point where I felt like I was heavily depressed. Didn't want to get out of bed to go to work. Lost a lot of weight as I wasn't eating properly. And to make matters worse my mum was horribly ill. Still I was going into work. Didn't tell the manager about my situation because they would have seen it as an excuse. But the final straw came when my manager kept shouting relentlessly at me for a mistake I made. Decided that was it and decided to leave. Never felt so relieved in my life even though I was unemployed having to look after myself in London.

Next few months I was completely lost on what I wanted to do. Didn't believe in myself to pursue a career in Accounting in fact didnt believe in myself to succeed in anything. I guess I was severly depressed at this point.

Moved out of Central London. Started applying for minimum wage jobs and was working behind the till at a fast food restaurant not to long after. Actually enjoyed working there and made some very good friends. 2 months in, my confidence slowly started coming back and I applied to work in the Finance department of a well known fast food chain. Got to the interview and I was completely honest about my whole situation, first time I wasnt nervous about the outcome but just wanted them to know who I was. Next day got the call for the second interview and was offered the job on the spot. I've been working there for the past few months and I could not be happier. Management are so supportive, great working environment, good training and so much better salary.

I guess the best decision I made was to take a step back in my career which allowed me to move forward.

Its been such a struggle to get to where I am at today from A Levels to University to working life but one thats taught me so much. Hopefully this next chaptor in my life is a successful one.
    Glad to hear things worked out!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ItTakes2meNu)

pleased to hear that

ReputationRep:
    Really happy for you, hope you continue to be successful in your chosen field. Shows how important it is to have a supportive working environment.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.