Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How long does alcohol usually take to damage your health? Watch

I've been binge drinking on weekends for about six months now. I really want to stop soon because I feel it's not having a good effect on my health

ReputationRep:
    It has already I think, but the effects are not quite felt

ReputationRep:
    Sorry pal, you're in for it.

Na really, all depends on the individual. Some people can be pretty much alcoholics for many years and they don't have any health problems. That doesn't condone it of course, because many people will have side effects, all you can do is 'detox' yourself from the binge drinking because if you're starting to feel it then surely your body is just internally screaming at you to stop before something serious happens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've been binge drinking on weekends for about six months now. I really want to stop soon because I feel it's not having a good effect on my health
    Difficult to quantify exactly. Dependent on a variety of factors. But typically, fatty liver will manifest itself first, before the onset of other, more severe symptoms.

Ideally, sooner you stop drinking, the better, or at least, stop drinking excessively. The liver is a remarkably resilient organ, and with time, damage CAN be reversed...so long as the damage is not too advanced.

(Original post by apronedsamurai)
    Difficult to quantify exactly. Dependent on a variety of factors. But typically, fatty liver will manifest itself first, before the onset of other, more severe symptoms.

Ideally, sooner you stop drinking, the better, or at least, stop drinking excessively. The liver is a remarkably resilient organ, and with time, damage CAN be reversed...so long as the damage is not too advanced.
    Why do you say CAN be reversed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Why do you say CAN be reversed?
    Just to cover myself. I.e. once it progresses to advanced stages, it can't be reversed.

(Original post by apronedsamurai)
    Just to cover myself. I.e. once it progresses to advanced stages, it can't be reversed.
    I'm thinking I'll give it up completely from now. I don't think I want to get to the advanced stages.

I only binge when I go to the clubs. So I'll stop going to those. I don't really have a problem otherwise as I don't really have a reason to get drunk at home.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 12, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.