Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hi everyone,

I have a question for you. how do you calculate the value of the acceleration due to gravity using the compound pendulum experiment?

I know how to do the experiment, I just don't understand how you plot the graph for it, and how you use the graph to determine the value of g. Can anyone please explain what you're supposed to do?

Thanks a lot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrambitious)
    Hi everyone,

I have a question for you. how do you calculate the value of the acceleration due to gravity using the compound pendulum experiment?

I know how to do the experiment, I just don't understand how you plot the graph for it, and how you use the graph to determine the value of g. Can anyone please explain what you're supposed to do?

Thanks a lot
    GPE = KE
    mgh = 0.5mv^2
    g=(0.5v^2)h

(Original post by NNB_Herath)
    GPE = KE
    mgh = 0.5mv^2
    g=(0.5v^2)h
    I am still kind of stuck, could you please explain the steps so that I can understand what I meant to do?

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

Thanks a lot
    Can you give details of your compound pendulum? The first thing that comes to mind is simply to measure its period like a normal pendulum but adjust the formula for the period - you can look this up or ask me, but you'd need to know the exact construction of the pendulum (e.g. 200g rod with 500g ball at the end etc)

ReputationRep:
    I am still kind of stuck, could you please explain the steps so that I can understand what I meant to do?
    what they've done there is equal gravitational potential energy to kinetic energy then use what they're equal to get to the middle equation then rearrange for g

where gpe=mgh and ke=0.5mv^2
    if ke=gpe
    then 0.5mv^2=mgh
    rearrange for g

update:

I now understand what you're supposed to do with the graph and how you find the value of g from it.

I appreciate everyone's help.

ReputationRep:
    update:

I now understand what you're supposed to do with the graph and how you find the value of g from it.

I appreciate everyone's help.
    Can you explain so we can correct ourselves if we are wrong ?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.