Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 118
Size:  19.7 KB

You might be wondering why the strange title lol. I'll get into that.

I have a HUGE problem on my hands (due to my idiocy). Last year was when I finished sixth form and got my grades leaving with DDDM, having been rejected by 3 universities; Goldsmiths, Leicester and Westminter. I was pretty chuffed at the time.

Now with my firm and insurance being Sussex and East Anglia, I thought all was well until I deferred my entry and took a gap year.

I had taken the year out to sort of clear my head and make money but little did I know I'd end up regretting my firm and insurance and coming to the realisation that I actually want to stay put in London.

Here comes the hard part... With the application deadline gone and a reluctance to proceed with both my unconditional offers, I have no idea on what to do.

My options are as follows

A) I could get released by my firm and go through clearing in the hope of finding my exact course at London based university

B) Attend Sussex and transfer mid first year to a London based university

C) Contact Goldsmiths in the hope they overturn my rejection seen as my "personal statement did not show aptitude for the chosen programme of study"

D) Commute to Brighton and drown in my sorrows as well as tiredness in lectures.

This is why I call it The Clueless Gap Year

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you need to take more time out to do some thinking about why you want to go to Uni.

Nowhere is it written that you can only go to Uni at 18 or 19. There is no need to make a panicky decision about 'which' Uni that you might regret, or start at a Uni and realise you dont want to be there at all.

One suggestion is to go to Brighton and have a walk around the town/beach. Go to the Uni and have a walk around there and get a feel for the place. Think about the course - is it really want you want to do?

And btw, getting cold feet about leaving home and going to Uni at this stage is very common - just make sure you aren't confusing that feeling with 'I don't want to go to Sussex'. At some point you will have to do this - and going to a supportive environment like a Uni where everyone else is doing the same thing is for most people the best way to leave home.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Daniel2201)
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 118
Size:  19.7 KB

You might be wondering why the strange title lol. I'll get into that.

I have a HUGE problem on my hands (due to my idiocy). Last year was when I finished sixth form and got my grades leaving with DDDM, having been rejected by 3 universities; Goldsmiths, Leicester and Westminter. I was pretty chuffed at the time.

Now with my firm and insurance being Sussex and East Anglia, I thought all was well until I deferred my entry and took a gap year.

I had taken the year out to sort of clear my head and make money but little did I know I'd end up regretting my firm and insurance and coming to the realisation that I actually want to stay put in London.

Here comes the hard part... With the application deadline gone and a reluctance to proceed with both my unconditional offers, I have no idea on what to do.

My options are as follows

A) I could get released by my firm and go through clearing in the hope of finding my exact course at London based university

B) Attend Sussex and transfer mid first year to a London based university

C) Contact Goldsmiths in the hope they overturn my rejection seen as my "personal statement did not show aptitude for the chosen programme of study"

D) Commute to Brighton and drown in my sorrows as well as tiredness in lectures.

This is why I call it The Clueless Gap Year
    B won't be possible, it's unlikely C will be,D won't make you happy so just go for A

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    Sounds like you need to take more time out to do some thinking about why you want to go to Uni.

Nowhere is it written that you can only go to Uni at 18 or 19. There is no need to make a panicky decision about 'which' Uni that you might regret, or start at a Uni and realise you dont want to be there at all.

One suggestion is to go to Brighton and have a walk around the town/beach. Go to the Uni and have a walk around there and get a feel for the place. Think about the course - is it really want you want to do?

And btw, getting cold feet about leaving home and going to Uni at this stage is very common - just make sure you aren't confusing that feeling with 'I don't want to go to Sussex'. At some point you will have to do this - and going to a supportive environment like a Uni where everyone else is doing the same thing is for most people the best way to leave home.
    Thanks for that. Seems to be a change in events. Whilst applying for an apprenticeship in my preferred field it prompted me to look through my qualifications and it turns out I've obtained D*DDM which exceeds both offers. So I'll go through adjustment and hope for the best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daniel2201)
    Thanks for that. Seems to be a change in events. Whilst applying for an apprenticeship in my preferred field it prompted me to look through my qualifications and it turns out I've obtained D*DDM which exceeds both offers. So I'll go through adjustment and hope for the best.

If you applied last year and have a deferred UF place, you cannot go through Adjustment. That is only for those getting their results this year. You were 'placed' last year and you do not have 'an application' on the go for this year.

If you are certain you want to stay in London then you should contact likely Unis now and see if they still have any places available for the subject you are interested in (btw, they may not do - its now very late in the cycle). If they do and you decide to apply, you would have to cancel your place at Sussex first and then make an entirely new 2016 application to send to this new Uni. To go into Clearing you would have to do the same thing as you dont have a 2016 application and were 'placed' from last year's application. Remember, both these possibilities are risky - you may not be able to get a place on the course you want.

Alternatively, you could drop you Sussex application (cancel it) and then reapply to as many London Unis as you want in the autumn for 2017 entry. This would give you the choice of all courses and at all Unis, and allow you to think clearly about what you are doing - and why.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    If you applied last year and have a deferred UF place, you cannot go through Adjustment. That is only for those getting their results this year. You were 'placed' last year and you do not have 'an application' on the go for this year.

If you are certain you want to stay in London then you should contact likely Unis now and see if they still have any places available for the subject you are interested in (btw, they may not do - its now very late in the cycle). If they do and you decide to apply, you would have to cancel your place at Sussex first and then make an entirely new 2016 application to send to this new Uni. To go into Clearing you would have to do the same thing as you dont have a 2016 application and were 'placed' from last year's application. Remember, both these possibilities are risky - you may not be able to get a place on the course you want.

Alternatively, you could drop you Sussex application (cancel it) and then reapply to as many London Unis as you want in the autumn for 2017 entry. This would give you the choice of all courses and at all Unis, and allow you to think clearly about what you are doing - and why.
    Very valid points.

I'm just going to contact the universities and possibly make a late application; regardless whether with my current or late I'll still go through clearing somehow. On a brighter note I'm going in with exceptionally good grades surpassing most entry requirements anyway.

I'll also apply for apprenticeship just incase the above doesn't follow through as well as taking a trip down to Sussex just to make sure it's definitely cold feet.

All in all academically my situation is good but it's just a bad case of poor timing I guess. Thanks for your advice and I wish you the best in whatever you do.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.