Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Does owning less stuff= less stress? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Less stuff= less stress?
    Agree
    55.56%
    Disagree
    34.44%
    Not sure
    10.00%

• Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Interested to see what peoples opinions are. I've been finding getting rid of stuff the past few weeks to be quite therapeutic and hopefully will mean less cleaning eventually.
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Interested to see what peoples opinions are. I've been finding getting rid of stuff the past few weeks to be quite therapeutic and hopefully will mean less cleaning eventually.
    I find the opposite true

ReputationRep:
    No, I have never found owning stuff stressful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Kyx)
    I find the opposite true
    You prefer to keep things? Is it a sentimental thing for you? I keep some stuff in a plastic wallet but my boyfriend has two big memory boxes and he'll never throw any of it out.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    Depends on what you find stressful and what the stuff is.

ReputationRep:
    In my case
    less means less stress

ReputationRep:
    I think if you have less stuff to organise and clean etc. then it quite naturally would reduce stress, yeah.

ReputationRep:
    I would agree that having less material possessions is less stressful because you don't have the stress associated with securing, transporting, insuring, cleaning and maintaining these things.

As a side-note, have you heard of minimalism?

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    You prefer to keep things? Is it a sentimental thing for you? I keep some stuff in a plastic wallet but my boyfriend has two big memory boxes and he'll never throw any of it out.
    Mainly sentiment
    Mainly because I might need it

ReputationRep:
    no because if u have less stuff, u may feel sad or stressed that you dont have stuff that you want
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Kyx)
    Mainly sentiment
    Mainly because I might need it
    What kind of things do you keep? I m trying to get out of the I might need it mindset with most things, i used to be awful for keeping a dress i hadn't worn in a year because i might need it for something :P

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    What kind of things do you keep? I m trying to get out of the I might need it mindset with most things, i used to be awful for keeping a dress i hadn't worn in a year because i might need it for something :P
    I don't keep clothes, but I keep everything else. Revision notes, books, and the like.

ReputationRep:
    just like saying if i eat less i will lose lots of weight, which isn't necessarily true
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Kyx)
    I don't keep clothes, but I keep everything else. Revision notes, books, and the like.
    I only own one book at the moment, i burned my a level revision notes with some friends after we finished our exams but could understand why someone would want to keep them

ReputationRep:
    :bear::heart:stuff

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    I only own one book at the moment, i burned my a level revision notes with some friends after we finished our exams but could understand why someone would want to keep them
    Yes, they are very useful. I have plenty of books. I have a whole cupboard-full.

(Original post by the bear)
    :bear::heart:stuff

The hunger games have begun

ReputationRep:
    hmmmm wanna see my

Spoiler:
    Show
    STUFF
    ladies ? :hubba:

ReputationRep:
    I definitely agree that less stuff is less stress... I always get upset when something breaks and needs fixing, there is more stuff to move if you change house and at lunch the other day a guy was talking about how stressed he gets about maybe scratching his new phone... it just got me thinking that there isn't much point having nice shiny things if they just make us feel on edge about not ruining them!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
    Depends on what you find stressful and what the stuff is.

Well it's not stressful but i do hate doing washing and not a fan of dusting so less clothes means less of that.

(Original post by Vennec)
    I would agree that having less material possessions is less stressful because you don't have the stress associated with securing, transporting, insuring, cleaning and maintaining these things.

As a side-note, have you heard of minimalism?
    Thats my exact thoughts towards it, especially as we hope to move some point before September i keep thinking how difficult moving all of our stuff to the other side of the city was and so it's motivating me to get rid of things. Indeed I have heard of minimalism, i am attempting it to have a "minimalist" wardrobe but its more challenging than I'd expected.

ReputationRep:

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.