Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey !

I'm going to uni in September so I'm applying for student finance now. In the past 3 years my dad has worked in Asia on a working visa (no dual residency or anything like that) but I have been a resident in the UK for over 3 years. My whole family are British nationals btw! So basically I just want to know if my Dad's work history is going to affect my application for finance.

Thanks so much
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Helen1238)
    Hey !

I'm going to uni in September so I'm applying for student finance now. In the past 3 years my dad has worked in Asia on a working visa (no dual residency or anything like that) but I have been a resident in the UK for over 3 years. My whole family are British nationals btw! So basically I just want to know if my Dad's work history is going to affect my application for finance.

Thanks so much
    It shouldn't make a difference.

He'll still need to declare his income from 2014/15 tax year in GBP (£) - so if you convert from a local currency make sure you detail the exchange rate you used in the "any other notes" section. Although if he filed a UK tax return then that should be simpler.

ReputationRep:
    Okay thank you, that's good to know! Having more closely read the eligibility terms, I've found another potential problem. It states that I may not be allowed a loan if I have previously studied a higher education course. I have studied a 1 year art and design foundation diploma, which I completed last May, but I funded that myself, as there is no government funding available for that course anyway. My sister did the same foundation course and went straight on to study at uni (with no problems regarding the loan), but I took a year out afterwards for personal reasons and because I wasn't sure yet what degree to take. Does this make a difference ?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Helen1238)
    Okay thank you, that's good to know! Having more closely read the eligibility terms, I've found another potential problem. It states that I may not be allowed a loan if I have previously studied a higher education course. I have studied a 1 year art and design foundation diploma, which I completed last May, but I funded that myself, as there is no government funding available for that course anyway. My sister did the same foundation course and went straight on to study at uni (with no problems regarding the loan), but I took a year out afterwards for personal reasons and because I wasn't sure yet what degree to take. Does this make a difference ?
    An art and design foundation diploma is a level 3 FE qualification. It doesn't count as previous HE study.

ReputationRep:
    Oh okay great ! I was confused seeing as it's also called a foundation course, so I got them mixed up. Thank you for your help.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.