Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i'm currently doing a level 3 IT apprenticeship and the qualifications this will get me 2 seperate qualifications the first being Pearson BTEC Level 3 Diploma in ICT Systems and Principles and the second being Level 3 Diploma in Professional and Competence for IT and Telecoms Professionals. I understand that this is definitlye not getting me to university to study computer science but my local college does a hnc/hnd which is 2 years then you can do an extra year for your degree, i will have had a year and a half experience also as well as having a microsoft certified certificate in HTML5, i assume this makes me 'underqualified' but i know they can accept you based on experience, do you think if i demonstrated my technical skills in particular programming and show some of my projects they would consider me
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Jkenyonn)
    Hi, i'm currently doing a level 3 IT apprenticeship and the qualifications this will get me 2 seperate qualifications the first being Pearson BTEC Level 3 Diploma in ICT Systems and Principles and the second being Level 3 Diploma in Professional and Competence for IT and Telecoms Professionals. I understand that this is definitlye not getting me to university to study computer science but my local college does a hnc/hnd which is 2 years then you can do an extra year for your degree, i will have had a year and a half experience also as well as having a microsoft certified certificate in HTML5, i assume this makes me 'underqualified' but i know they can accept you based on experience, do you think if i demonstrated my technical skills in particular programming and show some of my projects they would consider me
    There's a possibility that your qualifications attract ucas points, speak to your local college as Btec qualifications can attract ucas points but i m struggling to find what your particular one is worth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    There's a possibility that your qualifications attract ucas points, speak to your local college as Btec qualifications can attract ucas points but i m struggling to find what your particular one is worth.
    I don't think its worth a whole lot one of the qualifications is an NVQ so i won't get any for that but the other is only like 36 points, i'm pretty sure i dont have enough but it does say if you have relevant experience in the field your application will be taken in to consideration and i would be more than happy to show off my skills because i know i am just as good especially with programming like show them some projects etc..
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Jkenyonn)
    I don't think its worth a whole lot one of the qualifications is an NVQ so i won't get any for that but the other is only like 36 points, i'm pretty sure i dont have enough but it does say if you have relevant experience in the field your application will be taken in to consideration and i would be more than happy to show off my skills because i know i am just as good especially with programming like show them some projects etc..
    It's worth a try as your experience is clearly relevant you ll only know if you ask
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wow, you can actually get certificates in HTML5 - and even worse, endorsed by Microsoft!? :lolwut: I can imagine the expression on the IT hiring manager's face...

As for the topic, yes you can get a HND, perhaps in Engineering or Computer Science related if you wish.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.