Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

why brits don't make friends with international students? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've noticed that home students usually hang out with the group of their own, asians stick together etc. Do brits don't bother to make friends with overseas students? Are asians too shy? Find this phenomenon weird.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tsrandchill)
    I've noticed that home students usually hang out with the group of their own, asians stick together etc. Do brits don't bother to make friends with overseas students? Are asians too shy? Find this phenomenon weird.
    I dunno, I'm asian and I'd be willing to talk to anyone

ReputationRep:
    I've got some Asian friends. The main problem is the language barrier when they don't speak English very well.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's the accent and the fact that overseas students tend to huddle with their own peoples pretty much straight away and essentially form a group.

Edit - Having said that, I loved Asian people at uni - a lot of them are foodies like me. I love the fact that they love eating. Totally irrelevant I know..

ReputationRep:
    I believe the question is, "why do international students hang out in their own packs, and never talk to anyone else"? American, European, Arab, Indian students seem easy enough to get along with, but to this day I've never spoken to someone from East Asia :|

ReputationRep:
    It's pretty normal, for better or worse. People stick with people with whom they have most in common.

ReputationRep:
    The problem's not the Brits. The foreign students just don't approach us, East Asians seem to just avoid Britons for some reason.

ReputationRep:
    I think the question is why don't international make friends with brits.

ReputationRep:
    I have a year of about 20 - 25 students, majority being international. I get on well with all of them, they're good people, particularly the guys from Brunei. They're pretty fun. However, the only person who hangs around socially with the british guys is a Russian. The rest are pretty introverted. Every time I've tried to organize something as a year group, trying to get everybody involved like going to a restaurant or doing something like that, the internationals aren't really interested.

When I was on an Engineering course, a huge proportion of the students were Chinese, and they are incredibly shy around British people I found. They talk loads to eachother and seem to make friends quite easily, just not with the Brits.

ReputationRep:
    Was every foreign student from your group (except that Russian guy, of course) shy among the Brits or uninterested in hanging around with them? I was under the impression that the "problem with foreign students" was more an issue with the Chinese students' ways. I mean, I have a lot of friends studying in Europe and they mix perfectly with everybody. I'm comming to Warwick next year and I do not intend to speak only to Latin American people.

Weird thing that of traveling to a foreign land just to speak to people from your own country. Plus, it's an outstanding opportunity to improve your English, and the best way of doing that is (obviously) talking to natives.

It's pretty odd to find such an amount of these comments about foreign students in Warwick's threads. I hope I won't find any American-highschool-movie divisions there -whatever the reasons are.

ReputationRep:
    The Chinese students stacked a load of tables together in the canteen on the first week and pretty much sit with only Chinese students there after that.

ReputationRep:
    In my first year myself and my fellow British flatmates tried to get our Chinese flatmate to hang out with us but he said no and that his English wasn't very good. Our other Chinese flatmate ran away from us whenever we said hi.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    I think its international students who dont mix very well and they are the ones who hang out in packs.

ReputationRep:
    its the internationals who dont mix they like pack animals

ReputationRep:
    I think some international students just have a different culture to brits and so don't always gel. I guess if you move to a strange country it's also nice to be around people from home and people who understand what you're doing. I don't think language is a huge issue except for the fact it's probably more relaxing to be around people speaking your home language as every international student I've met has had fantastic English. I had plenty of international students as friends at uni... but I lived in private halls and there were a lot of international students in there.

ReputationRep:
    No joke it's almost always the Koreans/Chinese people who do not want to talk to anyone but themselves. I'm sure everyone can relate to this..

ReputationRep:

I study at Newman University and in the first few weeks I went on a trip to Oxford with students on the Erasmus programme, I got along with them all and still speak to them. I also have a friend who is an international student.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peroxidation)
    The problem's not the Brits. The foreign students just don't approach us, East Asians seem to just avoid Britons for some reason.
    As a rule, I think Asian students are more shy. They're also more motivated to study hard because they're paying through the nose and they'd be shamed if they spent their time goofing off like a lot of the home students do. But more relevant is that most international students find the UK's drinking culture strange and unpleasant - as a rule, people in the UK aren't particularly warm and friendly towards each other, let alone outsiders - perhaps except when they are ****-faced. So yes, the problem is likely with the Brits.

ReputationRep:
    I'm from Hungary and I started my AS year in January last year. Half of the brits didn't give a **** about me-they didn't even reply when I said good morning-the rest were better but not too opened towards me. The only people who I got on well with were an Algerian and an American guy and I have no clue why it was this way.

ReputationRep:
    Only time I really talked to South Asians at uni was playing tennis, the rest of the time you're all hypervigilant.

Bet it's all them stories they hear about the white boys.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.