Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

When you are shopping online, what are you looking for in a website? watch

ReputationRep:
    Like how do you know which website to choose?
    Do you pick whichever is in the top in Google Search?
    What do you type in?
    How do you decide if you wanted to buy from the website?

Please restrain from answers which are vague such as "if it looks good"

ReputationRep:
    generally if it looks good, or if its run by nigerians

ReputationRep:
    legitimacy

ReputationRep:
    When shopping I generally just trawl through the entire list, and close the tab/continue browsing depending on a load of factors.

What I'd type in would depend on what I was looking for.
    For example I was shopping for running shoes the other day, and typed in "Running Shoes UK", and selected a number of top sites from that.

You can commonly tell from even the sites URL or Description what you'd be clicking on even before doing so.

In my above example I'd come across ProDirectRunning which, to me poses a more top-end feel to it.
    Maybe due to the "Pro" word in the name? Who knows.
    Coincedentally I was looking for higher-end options. (Premium Nike & Adidas shoes)

In contrast, I'd see a site in the list like SPORTS DIRECT, which as you'd expect from their advertising campaigns and whole business "branding" (IMO) comes across as cheap, and commonly has the lower-budget shoppers in mind.
    So I wouldn't click on their site.

It also comes to previous experiences with such sites, as websites like SportsDirect look tacky and cheap, whereas others look crisp and high quality - which would make me feel more inclined to give the site more of a look, and thus a higher chance of buying something from them.

P.S. Sorry for the essay.

ReputationRep:
    One I can shop online from.

ReputationRep:
    What I do is just use my eyes and brain in combination

that usually works

ReputationRep:
    I look for an extensive webpage, which has a functional search system, and something which took me a while to find. Type in multiple things until you find a website which you like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thomasofsuburbia)
    generally if it looks good, or if its run by nigerians
    what would make you think it looks good? like pretty colours etc? What is your fav site for shopping and one you'd never go to?
    (Original post by shawtyb)
    legitimacy
    almost all sites are legitimate. how can you tell the legitimacy and imagine there were 300 sites which were legitimate, would you buy from all 300?? what are the other main factors that would make you pick 5 out of the 300?
    (Original post by fr0sr_)
    When shopping I generally just trawl through the entire list, and close the tab/continue browsing depending on a load of factors.

What I'd type in would depend on what I was looking for.
    For example I was shopping for running shoes the other day, and typed in "Running Shoes UK", and selected a number of top sites from that.

You can commonly tell from even the sites URL or Description what you'd be clicking on even before doing so.

In my above example I'd come across ProDirectRunning which, to me poses a more top-end feel to it.
    Maybe due to the "Pro" word in the name? Who knows.
    Coincedentally I was looking for higher-end options. (Premium Nike & Adidas shoes)

In contrast, I'd see a site in the list like SPORTS DIRECT, which as you'd expect from their advertising campaigns and whole business "branding" (IMO) comes across as cheap, and commonly has the lower-budget shoppers in mind.
    So I wouldn't click on their site.

It also comes to previous experiences with such sites, as websites like SportsDirect look tacky and cheap, whereas others look crisp and high quality - which would make me feel more inclined to give the site more of a look, and thus a higher chance of buying something from them.

P.S. Sorry for the essay.
    1) "UK" - why would you not be inclined to buy from international websites, such as one based in america but suppose they had what you were looking for?
    2) "commonly tell from even the sites URL" - suppose instead from ProRunningDirect it has RunningDirectDeals. What would you think of that now?
    3) "commonly has the lower-budget shoppers" - what makes you think its lower-budget? Imagine then sports direct had more expensive things and stopped doing their "sales" what would you think of that then?
    4) "previous experiences" - do you usually find new sites you've never been to and buy from them? how do you find them and what makes you not play safe and go to them?
    5) "high quality" - how does a website look high quality to you? then what is low quality?
    6) i LOVED the essay
    (Original post by similarBlank)
    One I can shop online from.
    e.g theres 1000's of sites online you can shop from. What would make you pick 5 out of those thousands?

(Original post by AlexSharratt01)
    I look for an extensive webpage, which has a functional search system, and something which took me a while to find. Type in multiple things until you find a website which you like.
    hmm, do you usually go to new websites?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by intoxycated)
    what would make you think it looks good? like pretty colours etc? What is your fav site for shopping and one you'd never go to?

almost all sites are legitimate. how can you tell the legitimacy and imagine there were 300 sites which were legitimate, would you buy from all 300?? what are the other main factors that would make you pick 5 out of the 300?

1) "UK" - why would you not be inclined to buy from international websites, such as one based in america but suppose they had what you were looking for?
    2) "commonly tell from even the sites URL" - suppose instead from ProRunningDirect it has RunningDirectDeals. What would you think of that now?
    3) "commonly has the lower-budget shoppers" - what makes you think its lower-budget? Imagine then sports direct had more expensive things and stopped doing their "sales" what would you think of that then?
    4) "previous experiences" - do you usually find new sites you've never been to and buy from them? how do you find them and what makes you not play safe and go to them?
    5) "high quality" - how does a website look high quality to you? then what is low quality?
    6) i LOVED the essay

e.g theres 1000's of sites online you can shop from. What would make you pick 5 out of those thousands?

Yup

ReputationRep:
    Legitimate website, within my price range and easy to use.

Nothing annoys me more than a website that is clunky or a pain to use. I mean for god sake it's 2016 and it's like some web designers still don't understand functionality matters. Like I hate those websites which have massive blocks of pictures with tiny links that are difficult to scroll and use. Sure it looks nice but I'm going to get off the website immediately if it's bothering me.

ReputationRep:

6) i LOVED the essay

theres alot of women clothing websites which are scams, very bad customer service, do not refund or do swaps or returns etc, dont send the items out, items are received damaged or just never turn up etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    Legitimate website, within my price range and easy to use.

Nothing annoys me more than a website that is clunky or a pain to use. I mean for god sake it's 2016 and it's like some web designers still don't understand functionality matters. Like I hate those websites which have massive blocks of pictures with tiny links that are difficult to scroll and use. Sure it looks nice but I'm going to get off the website immediately if it's bothering me.
    can you give me a website like this
    theres alot of women clothing websites which are scams, very bad customer service, do not refund or do swaps or returns etc, dont send the items out, items are received damaged or just never turn up etc.
    in terms of scams - how do you know if a website is a scam

ReputationRep:

in terms of scams - how do you know if a website is a scam
    reviews...if i dont know the website (ie its not a well known brand,name,shop) then il look for reviews about the site first

ReputationRep:
    if it looks good

ReputationRep:
    To see if its either amazon or ebay.
    Im skeptical of other online shopping places.

ReputationRep:
    reviews...if i dont know the website (ie its not a well known brand,name,shop) then il look for reviews about the site first
    what if i twas a fairly new site and you couldn't find any reviews?
    Sorry to pester you haha i just need to know

ReputationRep:
    what if i twas a fairly new site and you couldn't find any reviews?
    Sorry to pester you haha i just need to know
    then id make my judgement on how the site looks and the prices. if its too good to be true then id go elsewhere

ReputationRep:
    I can't think of one of the top of my head.

ReputationRep:
    then id make my judgement on how the site looks and the prices. if its too good to be true then id go elsewhere

thanks

(Original post by SophieSmall)
    I can't think of one of the top of my head.
    if you think of one please let me know x

ReputationRep:
    How legitimate and secure it is.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.