The Student Room Group

What's harder - 2 crash highers or 1 advanced higher?

Question is in the title, just curious :redface:
Reply 1
Original post by lucy713
Question is in the title, just curious

I am currently in S5 and sitting my Higher's this year so obviously I have chosen my S6 subject choices. I have picked 3 advanced higher's and one higher. Our school makes us do that, I will be dropping the higher. Regards to your question i would say, going by what my guidance teacher told me and bearing in mind I am currently only in S5 and have not, therefore not done any advanced higher's, that an advanced higher would be much harder that a Higher subject due to the work load. Advanced higher's have double the work load of higher's. Although you would be doing two higher's so I would say that they would both be equally as difficult to study for.

What are the subjects you are considering in taking?

Hope this helps :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Personally, I don't see the point in Advanced Highers unless they're necessary for your University requirements.

But, speaking from experience, I did two crash Highers in my last year at High school. I studied Higher History and Higher Computing, both of which I got an A in.

It wasn't easy, I studied very hard for these. But, if you're willing to invest a lot of study time and genuinely do care for the two subject's they're worth it.

I would go along with the two crash Higher's.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by lucy713

What's harder? Hmmm, in terms of actual physical workload they would be the same. For actual intellectual difficulty it would be without a doubt one advanced higher. Though as a previous poster said, uni's in Scotland do not care for advanced highers unless you are going into a competitive course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This year I've crashed higher business, geography and modern studies. I'm predicted A's in all of them and haven't found them difficult. However, I think that's because I do really enjoy the subjects and I regret not taking them before. If you like the subjects you're crashing and put in the work then it isn't that difficult.

I was in an advanced higher history class for a month at the start of the year and the workload is considerably more than other subjects, plus it didn't interest me so I wasn't motivated to put the work in. I would only do an advanced higher if you need it for university entry requirements or if you really enjoy the subject. Lots of people in my year who have done advanced highers ended up dropping them halfway through the year because so many people got unconditional offers.
Reply 5
thanks for the replies :smile:, i've chosen AH history and maths and crash highers in geography and modern studies for sixth year. I seemed to have an aptitude for modern studies when i studied it up to third year, and decided to choose between history and mods for nat 5 as I didn't have a set career path in mind and wanted to keep my choices open. I just wanted to see what the workload was like for these two subjects in comparison to say, AH history, as I can see myself being interested in the studies, but also do not want to work excessively to achieve good grades in the subjects.
2 crash highers, obviously.
Original post by lucy713

I've done 2AH's and 2H's this year so I could probs help you out. It all depends on the type of person you are, I did absolutely nothing all year, really let myself go in regards to school work so come prelims I had no idea for any of my 4 subjects.

So when I sat them I got a C and a D in my AH's and an A and an A/B (70% in this higher, so I'm not sure if it was an A or B). So without revising I bombed my AH's but did not bad on the highers so for me personally highers are much easier to get your head round that AH's. That being said, now I have started revising AH's are not really that bad and If I had done work from the get go I would have breezed my AH's.

Basically its six and half a dozen really...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending