The Student Room Group

How do you like to revise?

Poll

Do you like to revise to music?

Hello,Im a current y10 GCSE student...People,(Y11) how do you like to revise?With music or quietly or?
Just wondering how most other people like to revise in comparison to me,That is all.
Also,any tips for revising more efficiently?

Scroll to see replies

When I was doing my GCSEs I'd listen to music. Bearing in mind though some people struggle through exams if they can only perform well when they are used to music. Nothing wrong with it though. I do the same now at A Levels but nothing too distracting, usually just some decent audio.
I find music too distracting. I love listening to music when I'm doing homework or working on an assignment, but it's different when it comes to revision. I like it to be completely quiet, so that I can focus on trying to revise and remember things.
I'd recommend listening to instrumental tracks (the lord of the rings soundtrack is my favourite for it)
I listen to musicals but because of the amount of lyrics, I wouldn't recommend it unless you are good at working with lyrical music
Reply 4
I know you'll probably think I am a creep/weirdo, but I have my intense passion for aviation to blame for this. I listen to the conversation between aircrafts and air traffic controllers. Somehow soothes me :yep: @ravioliyears is this you too? :colondollar:
Original post by Hamoody
I know you'll probably think I am a creep/weirdo, but I have my intense passion for aviation to blame for this. I listen to the conversation between aircrafts and air traffic controllers. Somehow soothes me :yep: @ravioliyears is this you too? :colondollar:

Of course it is! :woo:
Reply 6
Original post by ravioliyears
Of course it is! :woo:

:five: :woo:
Reply 7
On my own without any distractions such as music or internet access.
I listen to music when I'm making posters or mindmaps, or just doing a piece of hwk. But when it comes to actual revision, I don't listen to music when I'm doing science and maths because I need to focus.
Sometimes I find that music can be a bit too distracting, choosing what to put on and having to change the tracks - I find background noise is much better, so sitting somewhere like a library or a coffee shop is great.

Also I need lots of coffee in order to get anything done - another plus for the coffee shop :coffee:
Reply 10
Depends on the revision, depends on the music.

When I revise French I listen to French radio to immerse myself in the language. When I'm writing an essay I listen to 'epic' instrumental music (e.g. Howard Shore LotR soundtracks) which often make me write faster. But if I'm trying to get my head around some complex part of Biology I find it more of a hindrance than help.

Never listen to any music with words though. Or I start to associate bits of revision with those songs.
Original post by VNN
Hello,Im a current y10 GCSE student...People,(Y11) how do you like to revise?With music or quietly or?
Just wondering how most other people like to revise in comparison to me,That is all.

I would listen to the MOBO music tho :smile:
I do work (like homework, or making revision material, or past papers) with music, but actually memorising stuff and properly 'revising', I prefer no music
Reply 13
Original post by VNN

Thank you for coming home I'm sorry that the chairs are all worn I left them here I could have sworn These are my salad days Slowly being eaten away Just another play for today Oh, but I'm proud of you, but I'm proud of you Nothing left to make me feel small Luck has left me standing so tall [Chorus:]Gold (gold) Always believe in your soul You've got the power to know You're indestructible Always believe in, that you are Gold (gold) Glad that you're bound to return There's something I could have learned You're indestructible, always believe in... After the rush has gone I hope you find a little more time Remember we were partners in crime It's only two years agoThe man with the suit and the faceYou knew that he was there on the caseNow he's in love with you, he's in love with youAnd love is like a high prison wallBut you could leave me standing so tall [Chorus]And love is like a high prison wallBut you could leave me standing so tall Gold (gold) Always believe in your soul You've got the power to know You're indestructible Always believe in, 'cause you are Gold (gold) I'm glad that you're bound to return Something I could have learned You're indestructible, always believe in... (Gold)
If you're still unsure of the best way to revise, there's a quiz you can do to find out your learning style and the best way to revise! Find our thread about it over here
Original post by VNN

I love revising with music but there is one condition, it has to have no lyrics. If there are lyrics I tend to get distracted so I always avoid that.

Audiomachine, Two steps from Hell etc, just epic music that will get me pumped up.

Here's an example from TSFH: [video="youtube;jIxas0a-KgM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIxas0a-KgM[/video]

Audiomachine have some epic ones as well, Pillars of earth, Momentum, Sol Invictus and many many more.

If these tunes don't get you pumped up to revise, I don't know what will.
Revision for me = Stressfully watching Netflix
Reply 17
Cry, try to 'revise', procrastinate... repeat
Well, I simply can't multitask like that. I heard it's better to do your revision in silent as it reflects the silence in exam conditions. So your brain is triggered to think remember certain topics you learnt in that environment. I dunno, you might wanna follow that up.
Original post by VNN

For me, I find quizzes and questions most helpful.. I learn so much from my mistakes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending