The Student Room Group

Higher Physics CFE Help

Scroll to see replies

Original post by molly221
http://www.dentistry.ed.ac.uk/mclindent

I am retty sure that Edinburgh do dentistry. At least this link to the uni website makes it out as if it does???

Some of my peers are studying Crichton Smith and have said this.

How are you finding the studying?

Hope you get the grades you want and are you doing the REACH programme @Labrador99 was talking about?

I have a feeling they only do postgrad coarses, I can only see masters coarses there, no BDS. Have you done much work experience and what extr curricular stuff are you doing. Sorry for all the questions, at my school I'm the only one interested in dentistry so have no one to compare myself to haha
Burns is extremely hard. I am panicking for it especially the 10 mark question at the end. Thats the same as me, don't mind reading but when it comes to analysing a book it is horrible. I hope spark notes has something. That is definitely how I am able to do well in essays.

Well I hope everything goes to plan with getting into vet school at either Edinburgh or Glasgow. They are both fantastic Universities.
I am applying for Edinburgh and Glasgow too. St Andrews would be my preferable choice although they do not offer dentistry. Out of Glasgow and Edinburgh, I would prefer Edinburgh so that I can experience Uni life away from home.

No, I have never heard of the REACH programme.Ughhh my school it doesn't tell us about this sort of stuff!!!

Have you go any course backups for university?

Don't worry if your school doesn't do the REACH programme- only some schools are able to do it...It's a widening participation programme run by Glasgow uni for prospective doctors, dentists, vets and lawyers, but only schools that are considered to be 'deprived'(don't have a clue how they judge that!) are eligible. The tables in the link below can tell you if your school does it...http://www.gla.ac.uk/about/wideningparticipation/programmesummary/partnerschools/#/
If your school is involved, it might be too late, but you could always email and ask.
No, I don't have any back up plan... Being a vet is the only thing I want to do and I'll apply again if I don't get in (and if I still don't get in...then I'll have a lot of thinking to do!). What about you?
Reply 22
Original post by Labrador99
Don't worry if your school doesn't do the REACH programme- only some schools are able to do it...It's a widening participation programme run by Glasgow uni for prospective doctors, dentists, vets and lawyers, but only schools that are considered to be 'deprived'(don't have a clue how they judge that!) are eligible. The tables in the link below can tell you if your school does it...http://www.gla.ac.uk/about/wideningparticipation/programmesummary/partnerschools/#/
If your school is involved, it might be too late, but you could always email and ask.
No, I don't have any back up plan... Being a vet is the only thing I want to do and I'll apply again if I don't get in (and if I still don't get in...then I'll have a lot of thinking to do!). What about you?

Unfortunately my school is not on the list. I have no idea how they determine if a school is 'deprived' too.
Well I sincerely hope that you get the grades and become a Vet. I am sure you will if you work hard, which obviously you will be doing.

I really enjoy Mathematics and I am good at it. It is probably my strongest subject. I am going to apply for Mathematics as my back up. I am going to give it a chance and apply for mathematics at Cambridge. Although, i doubt i will get in, its worth a shot.

What about medicine would you be interested in that?
Reply 23
Original post by Euan1603
I have a feeling they only do postgrad coarses, I can only see masters coarses there, no BDS. Have you done much work experience and what extr curricular stuff are you doing. Sorry for all the questions, at my school I'm the only one interested in dentistry so have no one to compare myself to haha

Ok well thats good to know. Glasgow and Dundee and still both really good.
If I am being honest, i have done no work experience in a dentist yet. My orthodontist has said if i get the grade she will think about having me (It because if patient confidentiality that she is not able to take me in just now). I am going to work experience in a dentist during the summer holidays when the exams are over. I have also done work experience in a school for children with additional needs, this has nothing really to do with dentistry but was an excellent thing to do and i am going back to do it in sixth year. I have worked with elderly patients in a care home suffering form dementia and received a award for it. I also at the weekends help to look after and care for my grandfather who has got Alzheimer's. Tbh this would be better for medicine. For extra curricular activities I enjoy to swim, cycle and climb. I also play tennis and hockey. I enjoy to read. I also, though i don't do this as much anymore, paint and draw and used to make cushions which i sold to friends and family. I made a good profit. In June after the exams, I am going to a deprived African country (I would tell you where but for privacy reason i dont want to post on the blog) to help with my schools partnership and refurbish a classroom. I volunteer at a charity shop every Thursday too.
I dont do that much.
What have you done for work experience and extra curricular activities?
Unfortunately my school is not on the list. I have no idea how they determine if a school is 'deprived' too.
Well I sincerely hope that you get the grades and become a Vet. I am sure you will if you work hard, which obviously you will be doing.

I really enjoy Mathematics and I am good at it. It is probably my strongest subject. I am going to apply for Mathematics as my back up. I am going to give it a chance and apply for mathematics at Cambridge. Although, i doubt i will get in, its worth a shot.

What about medicine would you be interested in that?

I think that it's great that you are giving Cambridge a shot and I'm sure that you have as good a chance as any other prospective student, so believe in yourself! I genuinely wish you all the best with that endeavour:smile:
I also think that being a dentist is such an important job because many people are very fearful of dentists(like my brother) and the way your teeth look can have such a big impact on your life and how you view yourself (I saw this recently with my dad who after having dental work is so much more confident in himself).
I don't think I could handle the drunken party goers on a Friday night, or the way that humans can be so horrible to each other and I'm not sure that I would have the nerve to operate on a human- it's different. There is always something a vet can offer a client to ease/stop the animal's suffering, be it an operation, drugs or euthanasia, and I think that that is a gift for a vet to have. Whether a client accepts the treatment or not is beyond a vet's control- they can only do so much to persuade/encourage the best course of action. I love animals, but I also like helping people, so for me, there is no other job I want to do.
Ok well thats good to know. Glasgow and Dundee and still both really good.
If I am being honest, i have done no work experience in a dentist yet. My orthodontist has said if i get the grade she will think about having me (It because if patient confidentiality that she is not able to take me in just now). I am going to work experience in a dentist during the summer holidays when the exams are over. I have also done work experience in a school for children with additional needs, this has nothing really to do with dentistry but was an excellent thing to do and i am going back to do it in sixth year. I have worked with elderly patients in a care home suffering form dementia and received a award for it. I also at the weekends help to look after and care for my grandfather who has got Alzheimer's. Tbh this would be better for medicine. For extra curricular activities I enjoy to swim, cycle and climb. I also play tennis and hockey. I enjoy to read. I also, though i don't do this as much anymore, paint and draw and used to make cushions which i sold to friends and family. I made a good profit. In June after the exams, I am going to a deprived African country (I would tell you where but for privacy reason i dont want to post on the blog) to help with my schools partnership and refurbish a classroom. I volunteer at a charity shop every Thursday too.
I dont do that much.
What have you done for work experience and extra curricular activities?

All that stuff sounds really good, great for writing your PS. I have had a bit of work experience, hoping to get more soon. I've done a week shadowing dental students from Dundee and also a day in oral surgery and a day in a joint orthodontic and max fax clinic. I thought this was absolutely amazing as Max Fax seems like a career that I would love to do, it's amazing what those surgeons are capable of doing. I am going to a kind of summer school ish thing at Dundee, it's only three days but it gives u an insight into dental students lives. I also have a week of work experience shadowing doctors coming up aswell, sadly they don't run much dental related stuff where I live, so I go to all the medical stuff as it's the next best thing. I also volunteer at a hospital, where I hand out meals to patients and also make tea, chat to patients etc. I also volunteer at a local disability home aswell. I'm doing gold DofE atm so looking for a residential that will hopefully envole a caring environment. Will you apply for dental coarses in England as there's only the two in Scotland? Also what are u thinking for your backup choice?
Reply 26
All that stuff sounds really good, great for writing your PS. I have had a bit of work experience, hoping to get more soon. I've done a week shadowing dental students from Dundee and also a day in oral surgery and a day in a joint orthodontic and max fax clinic. I thought this was absolutely amazing as Max Fax seems like a career that I would love to do, it's amazing what those surgeons are capable of doing. I am going to a kind of summer school ish thing at Dundee, it's only three days but it gives u an insight into dental students lives. I also have a week of work experience shadowing doctors coming up aswell, sadly they don't run much dental related stuff where I live, so I go to all the medical stuff as it's the next best thing. I also volunteer at a hospital, where I hand out meals to patients and also make tea, chat to patients etc. I also volunteer at a local disability home aswell. I'm doing gold DofE atm so looking for a residential that will hopefully envole a caring environment. Will you apply for dental coarses in England as there's only the two in Scotland? Also what are u thinking for your backup choice?

Wow, you have loads of work experience for dentistry! Thats amazing! I live in Glasgow so there is lost of opportunities for me.I should probably start taking them. If you get your grades you have a very high chance of getting into university in Scotland. I would like to apply for uni in England as i feel that it would be great experience and it would give me much more independence and confidence (as i am a very shy person). I love mathematics and i am good at it so i would like to apply for that. My dad wants me to apply for mathematics at Cambridge although i think i would have to scrap dentistry if i was to do that due to my PS. Cambridge would probably want to see all mathematics. I doubt i would have chance getting in though.

What are you other options?
Wow, you have loads of work experience for dentistry! Thats amazing! I live in Glasgow so there is lost of opportunities for me.I should probably start taking them. If you get your grades you have a very high chance of getting into university in Scotland. I would like to apply for uni in England as i feel that it would be great experience and it would give me much more independence and confidence (as i am a very shy person). I love mathematics and i am good at it so i would like to apply for that. My dad wants me to apply for mathematics at Cambridge although i think i would have to scrap dentistry if i was to do that due to my PS. Cambridge would probably want to see all mathematics. I doubt i would have chance getting in though.

What are you other options?

I totally agree with you on applying in England aswell. I myself am not the most confident and I feel like going somewhere far from home would give me a new perspective and bring out my confidence. I am also really enjoying maths this year. I was thinking about applying to St. Andrews for chemistry with medicinal chemistry or chem with maths as a 5th choice. I think your probs right about Cambridge, I've heard people say you need to be in and around 90% in three advanced highers to get accepted and there's STEP aswell which looks horrendous. Cambridge would be such an experience thouhg, shame they didn't do dentistry aha
Reply 28
I totally agree with you on applying in England aswell. I myself am not the most confident and I feel like going somewhere far from home would give me a new perspective and bring out my confidence. I am also really enjoying maths this year. I was thinking about applying to St. Andrews for chemistry with medicinal chemistry or chem with maths as a 5th choice. I think your probs right about Cambridge, I've heard people say you need to be in and around 90% in three advanced highers to get accepted and there's STEP aswell which looks horrendous. Cambridge would be such an experience thouhg, shame they didn't do dentistry aha

I would love to go to St Andrews. I really wish dentistry was an option as I would definitely apply for it there. I know someone who had everything going for himself. He was the dux and head boy at his school and still did not get in.All the best with your studies Euan , I hope that you do well! And get into dentistry school. Believe in yourself and you will be able to conquer anything!
Reply 29
Original post by Labrador99
I think that it's great that you are giving Cambridge a shot and I'm sure that you have as good a chance as any other prospective student, so believe in yourself! I genuinely wish you all the best with that endeavour:smile:
I also think that being a dentist is such an important job because many people are very fearful of dentists(like my brother) and the way your teeth look can have such a big impact on your life and how you view yourself (I saw this recently with my dad who after having dental work is so much more confident in himself).
I don't think I could handle the drunken party goers on a Friday night, or the way that humans can be so horrible to each other and I'm not sure that I would have the nerve to operate on a human- it's different. There is always something a vet can offer a client to ease/stop the animal's suffering, be it an operation, drugs or euthanasia, and I think that that is a gift for a vet to have. Whether a client accepts the treatment or not is beyond a vet's control- they can only do so much to persuade/encourage the best course of action. I love animals, but I also like helping people, so for me, there is no other job I want to do.

Aww thank you! I also, sincerely, wish for all the best for you too. You sound like such a lovely boy/girl (sorry i don't know) and you deserve to achieve your dreams. I have braces, i have had them on for 3 years, i think that's what made me want to do dentistry. Because like you said, it does have such a huge impact of your life, already even with my braces on do i feel much more confident as they are straight and the braces are nearly coming off. How old is you brother? is he younger? Because my younger brother is like that too: fearful of dentists. I don't have any pets but I would love a dog. Vets are equally as important as animals have such a positive effect on a humans life. People build great friendships with their beloved pets and i think that is amazing. To be able to guide a client to the best direction for their pet will be rewarding too. And you really are correct being a vet is the best of both worlds, it allows you to have a work with animals as well as build a professional relationship with a human through the best or sadly one of the worst times of their lives.
Aww thank you! I also, sincerely, wish for all the best for you too. You sound like such a lovely boy/girl (sorry i don't know) and you deserve to achieve your dreams. I have braces, i have had them on for 3 years, i think that's what made me want to do dentistry. Because like you said, it does have such a huge impact of your life, already even with my braces on do i feel much more confident as they are straight and the braces are nearly coming off. How old is you brother? is he younger? Because my younger brother is like that too: fearful of dentists. I don't have any pets but I would love a dog. Vets are equally as important as animals have such a positive effect on a humans life. People build great friendships with their beloved pets and i think that is amazing. To be able to guide a client to the best direction for their pet will be rewarding too. And you really are correct being a vet is the best of both worlds, it allows you to have a work with animals as well as build a professional relationship with a human through the best or sadly one of the worst times of their lives.

I just sent you a reply

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending