Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've got my French and spanish oral soon but I get really nervous and need more speaking practice with someone. I've had one temporary speaking tutor but its really hard to find someone to help and speak to. Anyone have any ideas? thx

ReputationRep:
    Friends, family?

(Original post by pinkie2999)
    I've got my French and spanish oral soon but I get really nervous and need more speaking practice with someone. I've had one temporary speaking tutor but its really hard to find someone to help and speak to. Anyone have any ideas? thx
    If you need help in french I'm a french native

ReputationRep:
    ive asked my family to ask around but no luck so far

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrenchUnicorn)
    If you need help in french I'm a french native
    thx alot! if i need have any questions can I inbox you?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I have French oral soon too

The key is confidence. If you are perfectly capable of spontaneously constructing sentence in a different language in your head, then in theory there is nothing stopping you from saying them out loud. If you have confidence in your abilities, you will relax and settle into the conversation and you won't even realise how hard you're working to translate 'on the spot' as it were.

Try thinking in the different language in daily life, just constructing random sentences. You'll soon get better at spontaneity.

If you have any French/Spanish relatives, it would be a really good idea to have regular conversations with them.

As for your actual exam material, write down some pre-prepared responses and learn them, however don't recite them - that's not what they're there for, and if you sound rehearsed in the exam you'll lose marks (this happened to me last year unfortunately). The point of the prepared material is that it is a framework and a prompt for your spontaneous response.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by connieiscrazy)
    Hey, I have French oral soon too

The key is confidence. If you are perfectly capable of spontaneously constructing sentence in a different language in your head, then in theory there is nothing stopping you from saying them out loud. If you have confidence in your abilities, you will relax and settle into the conversation and you won't even realise how hard you're working to translate 'on the spot' as it were.

Try thinking in the different language in daily life, just constructing random sentences. You'll soon get better at spontaneity.

If you have any French/Spanish relatives, it would be a really good idea to have regular conversations with them.

As for your actual exam material, write down some pre-prepared responses and learn them, however don't recite them - that's not what they're there for, and if you sound rehearsed in the exam you'll lose marks (this happened to me last year unfortunately). The point of the prepared material is that it is a framework and a prompt for your spontaneous response.
    thx this is really helpful. The only thing is I have a bad stammer generally and it gets worse in language exams so Im kinda nervous about them marking me down for bad pronunciation as i did in my French mock

ReputationRep:
    thx this is really helpful. The only thing is I have a bad stammer generally and it gets worse in language exams so Im kinda nervous about them marking me down for bad pronunciation as i did in my French mock
    I think the stammer will be related to nerves. Don't worry about it - if you do, it'll just make it worse

Stammering is better than saying 'um' in my opinion though - we get marked down for that because it sounds too English

ReputationRep:
    I completely got the wrong idea about this thread based on the title.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hippysnake)
    I completely got the wrong idea about this thread based on the title.

Spoiler:
    Show

thx alot! if i need have any questions can I inbox you?
    Of course you can

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.