What (if any) difference is there between a dipole molecule and a polar covalent bond

Watch
the81kid
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello

What (if any) difference is there between a dipole molecule and a polar covalent bond? Is it just that a dipole molecule has a covalent polar bond?

Sorry if this is a basic question, I've been looking for a simple answer all over Google, but haven't found one.

Thanks in advance!
username1560589
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
A polar covalent bond is a covalent bond that is polar.
A dipole molecule is a molecule that is polar.

A molecule with polar covalent bonds is not necessarily polar(eg. BF_3).
the81kid
Rep:
?
(Original post by morgan8002)
A polar covalent bond is a covalent bond that is polar.
A dipole molecule is a molecule that is polar.

A molecule with polar covalent bonds is not necessarily polar(eg. BF_3).
Thanks for the info. So, there are dipole molecules with many types of bonds, for example ionic?
username1560589
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by the81kid)
Thanks for the info. So, there are dipole molecules with many types of bonds, for example ionic?
No, just covalent.
the81kid
Rep:
?
(Original post by morgan8002)
No, just covalent.
So... there are covalent bonds. Some of these can be polar. Polar covalent bond (describing the bond) and dipolar (describing the molecule) are both terms for the same thing (except that one is describing the bond, and the other describing the molecule)?
KaylaB
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It cannot be ionic as the dipoles indicate the shift of the shared electrons, so a more electronegative element would have a more negative dipole as it attracts electrons more whereas in ionic compounds electrons are donated so thus aren't shared and can't have dipoles.
the81kid
Rep:
?
(Original post by KaylaB)
It cannot be ionic as the dipoles indicate the shift of the shared electrons, so a more electronegative element would have a more negative dipole as it attracts electrons more whereas in ionic compounds electrons are donated so thus aren't shared and can't have dipoles.
Thanks. My chemistry is not great. I've been teaching myself Biology A-Level, mostly because I'm quite good at the social/ecological aspects at least. Chemistry is quite new for me.

So is this correct:
There are covalent bonds. Some of these can be polar. Polar covalent bond (describing the bond) and dipolar (describing the molecule) are both terms for the same thing (except that one is describing the bond, and the other describing the molecule)?
KaylaB
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks. My chemistry is not great. I've been teaching myself Biology A-Level, mostly because I'm quite good at the social/ecological aspects at least. Chemistry is quite new for me.

So is this correct:
There are covalent bonds. Some of these can be polar. Polar covalent bond (describing the bond) and dipolar (describing the molecule) are both terms for the same thing (except that one is describing the bond, and the other describing the molecule)?
I think so
the81kid
Rep:
?
(Original post by KaylaB)
I think so
Thanks for the information. Is that a yes? Where can I check?
I'm just trying to make myself more certain of the concepts.
In any case, thanks a lot.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (8)
13.79%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (11)
18.97%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (27)
46.55%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (9)
15.52%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (3)
5.17%

Watched Threads