The Student Room Group

What will be your Summer job this year?

Not sure if this is the right pace for this kind of thread question but I am interested to find out what your Summer jobs will be? Whether its your first time working there? are you in the process of applying to places ?(which I am trying to do atm), have you worked there before and excited to go back?

I have just over a month left of my 2nd year University before I have 5 1/2 MONTHS OFF! I had this much ime off last year and I did absolutely NOTHING. There is no way I want that to happen again this year, especially with my parents nagging me to get a job..but WHERE?

I know its a silly question and all, due to the fact that there are so many places, but I am quite picky.. I have never had a "proper" job, only a few days here and there at a few shops for my own work xp (website design shop, dads restaurant). Of COURSE I want to find an internship for the summer or work xp, or even better an actual job that relates to my uni course of 3D games, animation, modelling etc but everyone just wants 'experts', 'pros', 'with a degree', which I dont have.

I am currently looking to apply at supermarkets..but only at 2 specific brands. Two Waitrose supermarkets that are near me or a Sainsburys. I got rejected by 1 of the Waitrose supermarkets as 'answers from other applicants were better'. I dont feel comfortable wanting to work at a clothes shop, restaurant, pub, waiter... Any tips? !
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm in the same boat, starting university this September. I have lots of time and last year I didn't work. I recently applied for two jobs, one is under review and the other is considering. I really need a job because I want save some money before university starts.
(edited 8 years ago)
This is the king of thing you just need to keep plugging away at. Just keep looking. Mine is at a summer school in Kent teaching English to kids in the UK for a few weeks. Related to my degree and career, I study English language and I'll be starting my MA in teaching English as a foreign language in September. You could try looking broader, there should be lots of jobs for activities staff and that kind of thing for summer schools etc. Hope you find something!
Original post by ShiningNStar🙈
I'm in the same boat, starting university this September. I have lots of time and last year I didn't work. I recently applied for two jobs, one is under review and the other is considering. I really need a job because I want save some money before university starts.

Did you just apply for normal jobs or were they summer jobs? Oh and do you think it's better to apply now to start working in july?

I really don't know where to look at the moment..
While at university it is best to get into a Summer internship that's similar to your field of study/future career option or generally something you are passionate about.

Give internships a go, if you don't get in then you might have to try a job in retail or something?

Why don't you feel comfortable for a retail job?
I applied for summer jobs, as I know I won't have to time to work during university. I rather focus on my studies. I think it's better to apply now. Are you still in school or your finished for the summer?
Original post by undercxver

Why don't you feel comfortable for a retail job?

Well firstly I heard they treat you like rubbish in there. Secondly, all the shopping centres are too far away from where I live.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending