The Student Room Group

How is it expected of students to be memorising essays for their exams?!

Okay so I am in my first year of Psychology, and I for some STUPID reason assuming that exams would be mostly chunks of questions that covers most of the module that we are taking the test on. I'm in first year so I have only been doing MCQ's but one of my modules wants us to do proper essay questions for our exam.

I thought we were past this whole memorising is the test nonsense that I had to endure throughout GCSE's and Alevels?! At least for alevels it wasn't hard to try memorise shxt for an essay because the content was very simple and the marking criteria was easy to please, you just needed to try.

But now I am expected to MEMORISE entire text books worth of content next year in the hopes that I will have memorised just enough for whatever one or two questions they pick out of a possible 100 per module.

The ****?! I did not sign up for this. Now I wish I did something like pharmacy man :/ but I feel like I probably won't get anywhere with a Pharmacy degree ffs and I already switched to a different uni so this is my SECOND first year (modules weren't similar enough so they asked me to start again from first)

Anyways I am so close to giving the **** up with this subject because I don't even do well with essays never mind flipping memorising like 50 possible ones per module nah allow that, thats Alevel **** where tings were calm an dat, bruv I aint prepared for this?! My modules are so boring anyway i regret moving from a met uni to a Russel group legit, at least they taught us some interesting shxt and didn't expect you to be able to write lab reports and essays without any sort of guidance other than ones u can come across online lol pls bye
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by PsychPrincess
Okay so I am in my first year of Psychology, and I for some STUPID reason assuming that exams would be mostly chunks of questions that covers most of the module that we are taking the test on. I'm in first year so I have only been doing MCQ's but one of my modules wants us to do proper essay questions for our exam.

I thought we were past this whole memorising is the test nonsense that I had to endure throughout GCSE's and Alevels?! At least for alevels it wasn't hard to try memorise shxt for an essay because the content was very simple and the marking criteria was easy to please, you just needed to try.

But now I am expected to MEMORISE entire text books worth of content next year in the hopes that I will have memorised just enough for whatever one or two questions they pick out of a possible 100 per module.

The fxck?! I did not sign up for this. Now I wish I did something like pharmacy man :/ but I feel like I probably won't get anywhere with a Pharmacy degree ffs and I already switched to a different uni so this is my SECOND first year (modules weren't similar enough so they asked me to start again from first)

Anyways I am so close to giving the fxck up with this subject because I don't even do well with essays never mind flipping memorising like 50 possible ones per module nah allow that, thats Alevel shxt where tings were calm an dat, bruv I aint prepared for this?! My modules are so boring anyway i regret moving from a met uni to a Russel group legit, at least they taught us some interesting shxt and didn't expect you to be able to write lab reports and essays without any sort of guidance other than ones u can come across online lol pls bye

I studied A Level Psychology, so to an extent, I get what you mean in terms of all the memorising. Your ability to cram must really be on fleek. But having said that, you do sound a bit lazy. A good degree can never be a walk in the park and I am definitely sure that no university would sponsor an unachievable course. So rather than grumble, I encourage you to focus. You are not the first, neither would you be the last. Others have done it before you and it will continue to be done. From your post, it seems as though you believe Pharmacy may have been an easier path than Psychology, which is rather odd because quite frankly, it is not. We are all struggling and cramming too:colondollar:. Funny enough, pharmacy students encounter some psychology, mostly the biological aspect and the different treatments available. So if you had done pharmacy, chances are you'd probably still be unhappy.
Anyway, good luck and please think positive. Do not give up, most especially, since this is your last funded attempt. Endeavour to not screw it up.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by PsychPrincess

The fxck?! I did not sign up for this. Now I wish I did something like pharmacy man :/ but I feel like I probably won't get anywhere with a Pharmacy degree ffs and I already switched to a different uni so this is my SECOND first year (modules weren't similar enough so they asked me to start again from first)

Anyways I am so close to giving the fxck up with this subject because I don't even do well with essays never mind flipping memorising like 50 possible ones per module nah allow that, thats Alevel shxt where tings were calm an dat, bruv I aint prepared for this?! My modules are so boring anyway i regret moving from a met uni to a Russel group legit, at least they taught us some interesting shxt and didn't expect you to be able to write lab reports and essays without any sort of guidance other than ones u can come across online lol pls bye

You don't need to memorise essays or textbooks to write a good essay in an exam. A good psychology degree should essentially be like investigative journalism- your given a question a quesiton to research for an essay then you use textbooks but also primary sources like articles to develop an argument. When it comes to exams you should only really have to remember the main arguments and primary research backing up those arguments.

MCQs are an absolute waste of time for psychology students - most psych students don't ending up doing psychology after graduation, so the knowledge isn't that useful. Essays actually teach you how to write and research, which are the most important skills you can learn during a degree. Generally MCQs are only ever used by lazy course leaders (or those that don't have the resources to mark essays).
Original post by iammichealjackson

MCQs are an absolute waste of time for psychology students - most psych students don't ending up doing psychology after graduation, so the knowledge isn't that useful. Essays actually teach you how to write and research, which are the most important skills you can learn during a degree. Generally MCQs are only ever used by lazy course leaders (or those that don't have the resources to mark essays).

I'd argue that exams in general are used by lazy course leaders who can't be bothered to actually find out what students have learned and understand about their subject and how well they can apply it to the real world. MCQ's, short answer questions and essays are all exercises in remembering information and regurgitating it at the right time and in the right order. Essay writing for an assignment is valuable, in an exam, much less so. However, that is a different discussion really.

I can empathise @PsychPrincess , I also struggle with essays in exams. On the whole, as @iammichealjackson says, try and remember the core of the theory/topic and then the general gist of the research around it and you'll be able to write decently about any topic, throw in your own opinion and analysis and you'll have a fair essay.

If you're brave, you can always take the triage route - let's say your module has 6 topic areas and the exam has 3 questions and you pick 1. You could, and I stress the could, only study 3 or 4 of the topics and bank on those coming up.
Original post by neldee95
I studied A Level Psychology, so to an extent, I get what you mean in terms of all the memorising. Your ability to cram must really be on fleek. But having said that, you do sound a bit lazy. A good degree can never be a walk in the park and I am definitely sure that no university would sponsor an unachievable course. So rather than grumble, I encourage you to focus. You are not the first, neither would you be the last. Others have done it before you and it will continue to be done. From your post, it seems as though you believe Pharmacy may have been an easier path than Psychology, which is rather odd because quite frankly, it is not. We are all struggling and cramming too:colondollar:. Funny enough, pharmacy students encounter some psychology, mostly the biological aspect and the different treatments available. So if you had done pharmacy, chances are you'd probably still be unhappy.
Anyway, good luck and please think positive. Do not give up, most especially, since this is your last funded attempt. Endeavour to not screw it up.

Yeah you're right tbh I have become insanely lazy like two years of no need to memorise and now the idea of it is daunting :frown: plus a lot of personal issues have been taking over my life this past two years I have been through a lot of suffering mentally so I guess I just feel to exhausted to even use my brain on something else than what I've had to be dealing with but any who thats another conversation, I need to start focusing more on this and memorising shouldn't be too hard if I focus on the right stuff to remember

This reply really helped me man thanks, you speak in such a well spoken manner idgi why does everyone at uni talk like a professor apart from me the fxck looool:smartass:
Original post by iammichealjackson
You don't need to memorise essays or textbooks to write a good essay in an exam. A good psychology degree should essentially be like investigative journalism- your given a question a quesiton to research for an essay then you use textbooks but also primary sources like articles to develop an argument. When it comes to exams you should only really have to remember the main arguments and primary research backing up those arguments.

Ait I just don't know how to even write essays that are degree level looooool like I haven't really been given a structure or guide but i will try figure it out i guess, people have done it so its possible ffs
MCQ's are only first year, pretty much most uni's are like that, even for medicine lol
Original post by _Sinnie_
I'd argue that exams in general are used by lazy course leaders who can't be bothered to actually find out what students have learned and understand about their subject and how well they can apply it to the real world. MCQ's, short answer questions and essays are all exercises in remembering information and regurgitating it at the right time and in the right order. Essay writing for an assignment is valuable, in an exam, much less so. However, that is a different discussion really.

I can empathise @PsychPrincess , I also struggle with essays in exams. On the whole, as @iammichealjackson says, try and remember the core of the theory/topic and then the general gist of the research around it and you'll be able to write decently about any topic, throw in your own opinion and analysis and you'll have a fair essay.

If you're brave, you can always take the triage route - let's say your module has 6 topic areas and the exam has 3 questions and you pick 1. You could, and I stress the could, only study 3 or 4 of the topics and bank on those coming up.

Yeah exactly, exams are pretty much regurgitation of info, I feel like coursework an essays you hand in are more representative but thats just me lol

Yeah it would be easier for me to do so if the structure of the content flowed and HAD a structure ffffsssss considering I've been to two universities now (first year at a met - which i am actually considering moving back to if they don't mind taking me - and one year at this Russel group) comparing the materials and course content, it was at a muuuuuuuuuch better level at the met uni, and much better structured ad easier to follow and was way more interesting, slightlyg onig off topic but also whats your opinion on getting my degree at a met uni thats like 40th on the legaues compared to a russel group which is 16th? i feel like i am more likely to dp well back at my old uni than this one legit

anyways imma consider that gamble, i think most people do that anyways
exams are stupid and bring stress to students. Coursework can be dreadful and tiring because you are constantly working towards the deadlines.

In conclusion, the education system sucks.

Quick Reply

Latest