Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I'm hoping to do a full-time masters this september in London and was wondering if I would have time to do some bank shifts with the job I'm in atm (mental health rethink)?

ReputationRep:
    Find out in advance exactly what your course assessment will involve, i.e. not just frequency of essay submissions, but also in terms of attendance requirements, for the compulsory and optional modules. Then review the feasibility. Also, you can't assume that the timetabling of the 2015/16 Masters will stay the same for 2016/17, but it should give you some idea of what's expected of you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noodlzzz)
    I'm hoping to do a full-time masters this september in London and was wondering if I would have time to do some bank shifts with the job I'm in atm (mental health rethink)?
    Maybe - it depends what you mean by 'some' shifts.

If it's a regular 2-3 days a week, then probably not (might be doable but your work would suffer)

If it's a flexible arrangement - i.e. you could take on extra shifts in the weeks with a light study load, but do no shifts at all in the couple of weeks before assignment deadlines/dissertation submission, then it could work.

It's really really important to have an understanding employer - many just wouldn't relate to 'please can I have a week off, I've got an essay to do'

ReputationRep:
    It does depend hugely on subject.

For Art, Humanities, Soc Sci subjects the actual teaching time is small and its very possible to do a part-time job even during the day. For other subjects with more face to face time, evening and Saturday work is still a possibility.

ReputationRep:
    Just see what your timetable looks like in September and you can decide whether to book any shifts. As it's bank you could do it over the weekend if you have no time during the week.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.