Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Which of the following is NOT a function of the intercellular membrane.

Cell to cell signalling, partially permeable membrane, site of chemical reactions, transport of substances across membrane

ReputationRep:
    site of chemical reactions.

^^ it happens in the cytoplasm not the membrane

ReputationRep:
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  512.7 KB
    (Original post by alkaline.)

But my book says (last point on membranes within cells).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RiahDawson)
    Which of the following is NOT a function of the intercellular membrane.

Cell to cell signalling, partially permeable membrane, site of chemical reactions, transport of substances across membrane
    Partially permeable membrane?

That's a feature, not a function

ReputationRep:
    Technically, your book is right BUT its not a function of the membrane as its mainly works as a barrier. But it does reactions such as in respiration the electron transport chain moves hydrogen ions across the membrane to generate ATP but generally I would've said the second thing you listed was untrue as its a feature not a function. Also, the cytoplasm is the MAIN site of chemical reactions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamestg)

I did consider that, does it definitely transport substances across the membrane?

ReputationRep:
    I did consider that, does it definitely transport substances across the membrane?
    Is that even a question?!

Of course it does! Protein channels etc...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jehaan)
    Technically, your book is right BUT its not a function of the membrane as its mainly works as a barrier. But it does reactions such as in respiration the electron transport chain moves hydrogen ions across the membrane to generate ATP but generally I would've said the second thing you listed was untrue as its a feature not a function. Also, the cytoplasm is the MAIN site of chemical reactions
    Okay thank you, that makes sense I'm going to go with partially permeable membrane not being a function.

ReputationRep:
    Is that even a question?!

Of course it does! Protein channels etc...
    I was just making sure. I know it does for the surface membrane but wasnt sure if its the same thing for the membranes within cells around organelles.

ReputationRep:
    oh ****.. I really need to get the revision guide huh I didn't even know that :/

ReputationRep:
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  512.7 KB

But my book says (last point on membranes within cells).
    Membranes within cells is referring to the membranes of some organelles, not the cell membrane.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alkaline.)

(Original post by Jehaan)
    If anyone's curious the answer is "cell to
    Cell signalling" this is NOT a function of the intercellular membrane becaus this membrane is around organelles. Organelles are not involved cell to cell signalling. Organelles are not cells.

ReputationRep:
    If anyone's curious the answer is "cell to
    Cell signalling" this is NOT a function of the intercellular membrane becaus this membrane is around organelles. Organelles are not involved cell to cell signalling. Organelles are not cells.
    Intercellular membranes?

Do you mean intracellular membranes? as that refers to organelles.

If you really do mean intercellular membranes (which actually doesn't make sense, it's just cellular membranes), then cell membranes can still participate in cell-signalling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RMNDK)
    Intercellular membranes?

Do you mean intracellular membranes? as that refers to organelles.

If you really do mean intercellular membranes (which actually doesn't make sense, it's just cellular membranes), then cell membranes can still participate in cell-signalling.
    I meant intRAcellular that was autocorrect.

ReputationRep:
    I meant intRAcellular that was autocorrect.
    Don't call intracellular membranes "cell membranes."

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.