Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm really torn between these two courses. I love Maths, Physics and Chemistry. I have gotten A's in all. However, I'm not sure which one to choose. Leave your experiences on both courses. Thank you all for your help!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by ShiningNStar🙈)
    I'm really torn between these two courses. I love Maths, Physics and Chemistry. I have gotten A's in all. However, I'm not sure which one to choose. Leave your experiences on both courses. Thank you all for your help!
    Hi there!

They are both two great directions to head down, there are a couple of things to think about, though.

Engineering is huge. If you really love Chemistry, Chemical Engineering would suit you very well. Aero/Mechanical/Civil etc can all have very different elements and lead you to different career paths, as well. Electrical/Software Engineering will be the most similar to Computer Science, but there are of course differences.

Look into different disciplines and see which interests you the most. If you love programming/computing, Computer Science might be the route to go down (or Software Engineering). If you're less into that, Engineering might suit you better. Read as much as you can the different courses and you should be able to narrow down your choices.

Hope this helps!

Scott
    Undergraduate Rep
    School of Engineering

ReputationRep:
    The courses are fundamentally different. Computer Science would essentially be based only on maths. However, if you really like all 3 subjects engineering might represent a good choice.

Physics and Maths enable you to pursue pretty much any engineering specification, however, if you are keen on chemistry, you should check out Chemical Engineering, Materials Engineering or, if you like a more biochemical course, even Biomedical Engineering.

In case you happen to be interested in Materials, I am currently on the course, and can answer any question you might have

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glasgow Uni)
    Hi there!

They are both two great directions to head down, there are a couple of things to think about, though.

Engineering is huge. If you really love Chemistry, Chemical Engineering would suit you very well. Aero/Mechanical/Civil etc can all have very different elements and lead you to different career paths, as well. Electrical/Software Engineering will be the most similar to Computer Science, but there are of course differences.

Look into different disciplines and see which interests you the most. If you love programming/computing, Computer Science might be the route to go down (or Software Engineering). If you're less into that, Engineering might suit you better. Read as much as you can the different courses and you should be able to narrow down your choices.

Hope this helps!

Scott
    Undergraduate Rep
    School of Engineering
    (Original post by Summit)
    The courses are fundamentally different. Computer Science would essentially be based only on maths. However, if you really like all 3 subjects engineering might represent a good choice.

Physics and Maths enable you to pursue pretty much any engineering specification, however, if you are keen on chemistry, you should check out Chemical Engineering, Materials Engineering or, if you like a more biochemical course, even Biomedical Engineering.

In case you happen to be interested in Materials, I am currently on the course, and can answer any question you might have
    Thank you both so much, that really helped . Summit how's the work load?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you both so much, that really helped . Summit how's the work load?
    Heavy, but manageable. Even though I am doing engineering, I still have an active social life. You just need to learn not to leave coursework to the last minute (I have done this way too many times).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.