The Student Room Group

Higher History 2016/17

I couldn't find a thread for the new Higher history this year so I thought I'd make one. We can share our predictions for this years exam and what topics we are doing etc.

My topics this year are
Germany
The Liberal Goverment
Suffragette period

and Migration & Empire Scotland for my sources.

Let me know what you guys are doing! what your best at what your nervous for! How your revise best!

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone know how to actually get evaluation marks? I can never get above 18/20 in essays because I don't know how to do it. I know you can get up to 2 marks for evaluating 'isolated factors' but obviously before the exam I want to be targeting as close to 20 as possible. Without knowing how to get more marks for evaluation, I cannot do this. Please help someone
(edited 7 years ago)
For evaluation, you essentially have to compare two factors against each other providing a reason why one factor is more important/effective than another. Here's an example from my extended essay which got 30/30:

Therefore the suffragettes were an important factor in the campaign for women receiving the vote in 1918 to a certain extent. At the start of their campaign they proved very useful in publicising the struggle for women’s suffrage however the work of the suffragettes before the war actually hindered the effort and actually unknowingly proved the arguments against women gaining the vote such as them being deemed as “too emotional” through their very violent and militant tactics as very accurate and real whereas the work of the suffragists did the opposite and proved women were capable of taking part in the political process.

It is difficult but achievable, you're more or less arguing why one factor is more effective/important than another. Hope this helps!
im doing appeasement ( hitler and britains foreign polciies , outbreak of war , why appeasement etc..) and Britain ( women and the vote , liberal and labour reforms) and migration for the source questions too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CitrusConfusion
For evaluation, you essentially have to compare two factors against each other providing a reason why one factor is more important/effective than another. Here's an example from my extended essay which got 30/30:

Therefore the suffragettes were an important factor in the campaign for women receiving the vote in 1918 to a certain extent. At the start of their campaign they proved very useful in publicising the struggle for women’s suffrage however the work of the suffragettes before the war actually hindered the effort and actually unknowingly proved the arguments against women gaining the vote such as them being deemed as “too emotional” through their very violent and militant tactics as very accurate and real whereas the work of the suffragists did the opposite and proved women were capable of taking part in the political process.

It is difficult but achievable, you're more or less arguing why one factor is more effective/important than another. Hope this helps!

Thank you! That really helped
We do 2 main topics, for essays, that have a big umbrella over many topics.
So I'm doing Britain 1851-1951 and the topics for that are:
- Liberal Motives
- Liberal Reforms
- Women and the Vote
- Labour Government
- Democracy Reasons
- Democracy (How they became democratic)

And we also do USA 1918-1968 and those topics are on
- Civil Rights Development
- Civil Rights Obstacles
- Civil Rights Effectiveness
- Immigration
- The Great Depression
- New Deal

We are also doing Migration and Empire for sources, I think that's what most people are doing so I won't explain haha :smile:
Original post by ionastewartx
We do 2 main topics, for essays, that have a big umbrella over many topics.
So I'm doing Britain 1851-1951 and the topics for that are:
- Liberal Motives
- Liberal Reforms
- Women and the Vote
- Labour Government
- Democracy Reasons
- Democracy (How they became democratic)

And we also do USA 1918-1968 and those topics are on
- Civil Rights Development
- Civil Rights Obstacles
- Civil Rights Effectiveness
- Immigration
- The Great Depression
- New Deal

We are also doing Migration and Empire for sources, I think that's what most people are doing so I won't explain haha :smile:

Wow, your second topic sounds so much more interesting than the one we do. How is it?

We do Germany 1815-1939 and the sub-topics are:

- The Nazis and their rise to power
- How the Nazis maintained power
- German nationalism 1815-1850
- German unification 1850-1871
(edited 7 years ago)
Anyone else learning 10 essays instead of 12? We were only taught 5 for each essay topic anyway so I don't have much of a choice haha. Haven't started revising for history yet, as I've had 3 exams since Thursday :frown:. How is everyone else's revision going?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emma_georgia998
Anyone else learning 10 essays instead of 12? We were only taught 5 for each essay topic anyway so I don't have much of a choice haha. Haven't started revising for history yet, as I've had 3 exams since Thursday :frown:. How is everyone else's revision going?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Total, we were taught 8 essays.
Wow, your second topic sounds so much more interesting than the one we do. How is it?

We do Germany 1815-1939 and the sub-topics are:

- The Nazis and their rise to power
- How the Nazis maintained power
- German nationalism 1815-1850
- German unification 1850-1871

Yeah It's great. A lot to learn like all topics we did Germany in Nat 5 I really liked it. We are mostly just learning about Acts and political leaders. A lot to do with black people. THERE ARE SOOOO MANY GROUPS AND ACTS AND RIGHTS AND POLICIES!!! I'm just being driven off the edge hahah. At least I've got a week.
10 essays??? our class only learning 6 , 3 for each topic

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lydiamartinxo
10 essays??? our class only learning 6 , 3 for each topic

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah 5 for each topic. Most people wanted to do 4 but our teacher was claiming if only one question that we know comes up it could be badly worded or something. Think I might just do 8 regardless 😃

Posted from TSR Mobile
hi i'm doing National 5 this year but i couldn't find a thread so i thought i would ask on this one:

Did anyone learn Era of the Great War 1910-1928 last year?
i just want to know what the difference is between the economy before/after the war and industry before/after the war

Wouldn't you talk about the same thing for both? for example, the jute industry, fishing, agriculture etc.

sorry to bother you i know this is a higher thread.
Original post by alex5023
hi i'm doing National 5 this year but i couldn't find a thread so i thought i would ask on this one:

i just want to know what the difference is between the economy before/after the war and industry before/after the war

Wouldn't you talk about the same thing for both? for example, the jute industry, fishing, agriculture etc.

I did that topic last year, I think you'd have to talk about how industry thrived during the war such as shipbuilding (demand for warships) and how after the war most industry declined and went overseas. Again for e.g. shipbuilding went over to the US and Japan and the demand for jute declined as sandbags weren't needed and that is was cheaper to produce in India than in Dundee.

This is only from what I can remember from last year, so I hope it helps!
Original post by saima07
I couldn't find a thread for the new Higher history this year so I thought I'd make one. We can share our predictions for this years exam and what topics we are doing etc.

My topics this year are
Germany
The Liberal Goverment
Suffragette period

and Migration & Empire Scotland for my sources.

Let me know what you guys are doing! what your best at what your nervous for! How your revise best!

when revising for migration and empire what are your notes and knowledge like? Mines are mainly bullet points and i want to expand on them

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by alex5023

This question came up in the National 5 exam last year (so it's unlikely it will be in it this year) and I was quite annoyed because I hadn't learned anything about it. The question was "Describe the Scottish economy after world war 1". I said: "The Scottish economy suffered because, there was not as many workers due to all the lives lost due to the war. Shipbuilding began to decline because there was not much demand for ships." something along those lines I said, and you could mention something like munition factories. I got an A so I know whatever the hell I wrote was correct lol good luck mate
Reply 16
I need to learn 8 essays however can you not get away with learning only 6? Because if the 2 you don't know come up then you always have a choice right?

My predictions of the topics I've studied are:

British: Votes for Women OR Success of the Liberal Reforms

German: Rise of the Nazis OR Obstacles to German Unification

Good luck everyone when the 20th comes, hope you all do well.
Original post by Shane7
This question came up in the National 5 exam last year (so it's unlikely it will be in it this year) and I was quite annoyed because I hadn't learned anything about it. The question was "Describe the Scottish economy after world war 1". I said: "The Scottish economy suffered because, there was not as many workers due to all the lives lost due to the war. Shipbuilding began to decline because there was not much demand for ships." something along those lines I said, and you could mention something like munition factories. I got an A so I know whatever the hell I wrote was correct lol good luck mate

I did that topic last year, I think you'd have to talk about how industry thrived during the war such as shipbuilding (demand for warships) and how after the war most industry declined and went overseas. Again for e.g. shipbuilding went over to the US and Japan and the demand for jute declined as sandbags weren't needed and that is was cheaper to produce in India than in Dundee.

This is only from what I can remember from last year, so I hope it helps!

Thank you that's very helpful. Good luck on Friday!
I also have to learn 8 essays and haven't even started the German topics yet, just British. And nothing is going in.
Would it be safe to only learn 6, 3 from each topic or is that a no? Brain just isn't taking all the info in, especially about democracy in Britain :frown:
Hi, i know this is a Higher thread but there is still no nat 5 history thread.

Quick question: Were the Rent Strikes part of the Red Clydeside?

Quick Reply

Latest