Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My A level years were HELL. I wasn't able to attend school because of my severe anxiety, so I had to take my a levels in a *****y college. Personal circumstances meant I had to move out into supported living, then I was stuck in a cycle of rehousing. I was housed in a psych ward at one point since I had no other placements available. I wasn't severely mentally ill or suicidal even, but I was under the care of a mental health team for anxiety/depression. I had to fight just to be able to get out of the ward every day to study in the library. My parents were of no help whatsoever.

Anyway, I put so much ENERGY into studying that even though I was stressed to my limit, I turned out with A*BB for Maths, Further maths and chemistry respectively. Then I had to navigate UCAS all by myself since my college was that **** they didn't help with that. I'm extremely lucky to have been given offers from Exeter, Leeds and Loughborough for Mathematics, and Engineering Mathematics from Bristol.

At this point I'm completely frazzled, but uni is my escape route of this **** situation I'm in, so can anyone recommend anything based on the above? Would a campus uni suit me better due to my mental health needs i.e. more access to support? I had my heart set on Bristol honestly; my sister went there and I love the city, and it's a great uni. I only worry about it being too daunting for me. But despite them initially rejecting me for Mathematics, Engineering Mathematics seems ideal for me. It combines creativity and logic, applying maths to real world problems. Problems like cryptosecurity and manufacturing, which interests me.

I'm a bit overwhelmed, I can't really make a decision. I know it's hard to offer any advice on such little information but can anyone suggest anything? I also have to worry about accommodation, finances etc since my parents are not supportive. I'm on my own here!

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NoHetero)
    My A level years were HELL. I wasn't able to attend school because of my severe anxiety, so I had to take my a levels in a *****y college. Personal circumstances meant I had to move out into supported living, then I was stuck in a cycle of rehousing. I was housed in a psych ward at one point since I had no other placements available. I wasn't severely mentally ill or suicidal even, but I was under the care of a mental health team for anxiety/depression. I had to fight just to be able to get out of the ward every day to study in the library. My parents were of no help whatsoever.

Anyway, I put so much ENERGY into studying that even though I was stressed to my limit, I turned out with A*BB for Maths, Further maths and chemistry respectively. Then I had to navigate UCAS all by myself since my college was that **** they didn't help with that. I'm extremely lucky to have been given offers from Exeter, Leeds and Loughborough for Mathematics, and Engineering Mathematics from Bristol.

At this point I'm completely frazzled, but uni is my escape route of this **** situation I'm in, so can anyone recommend anything based on the above? Would a campus uni suit me better due to my mental health needs i.e. more access to support? I had my heart set on Bristol honestly; my sister went there and I love the city, and it's a great uni. I only worry about it being too daunting for me. But despite them initially rejecting me for Mathematics, Engineering Mathematics seems ideal for me. It combines creativity and logic, applying maths to real world problems. Problems like cryptosecurity and manufacturing, which interests me.

I'm a bit overwhelmed, I can't really make a decision. I know it's hard to offer any advice on such little information but can anyone suggest anything? I also have to worry about accommodation, finances etc since my parents are not supportive. I'm on my own here!

Thanks.
    Whether a uni is campus based or city based won't reflect on the quality of the support offered. Your best bet is to contact each student support department explaining your needs and see how helpful they are in response. As well as considering the usual factors like course content, facilities, location e.c.t

ReputationRep:
    As a Loughborough student myself, I'd suggest Bristol. Academically, they are a bit more prestigious than your other options, and you seem to like the course more.

However, I can guarantee that Loughborough offers amazing support. The Welfare Committee is always active in organizing events to raise awareness towards mental health, and those become even more frequent before exams, when they organize mindfulness session for students to relax. Also, there is a project called "Nightline". Every monday, wednesday, and thursday night a volunteer will pick up calls from those students who are not feeling ok and will have a chat with them. The incoming Welfare Executive Officer is also planning on introducing Safe-spaces starting next year.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.