Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys

Need help with this question - I've linked the paper below for reference (question 6 is in page 10). It is basically two elastic springs stretched on a horizontal plane, with a particle attached in the middle. The particle is displaced from the equilibrium position, and part (b) asks to show that it moves with SHM.

Using the usual method, of F=ma, I resolved the forces, getting the value of acceleration=120-50x (refer to image attached below showing my working in black pen). This is not in the correct form to show SHM motion, so wrong answer.

I referred to the exam answer, which I have written out in the second image (red pen). The difference was that my 'x' was from point A, whereas the correct answer took the value of 'x' as the displacement from equilibrium position (OC).

I don't understand why both of them give a different answer, surely they should be the same? I hope I haven't just done an algebraic mistake either!

If someone could please show why my method is wrong, that would be much appreciated, or link me to a worked solution someone else has done.

Link to paper:

https://8a40d6c38bafca75cc407741c0f3...%20Edexcel.pdf

My working in black, and exam answer in red:

Attachment 521947521949522000
    [attach]5.219475219495219e+23[/attach]
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the_martian13)
    .The difference was that my 'x' was from point A, whereas the correct answer took the value of 'x' as the displacement from equilibrium position (OC).
    I am inclined to believe that this is your mistake. In order to prove SHM, you must consider displacement from the equilibrium position. Any other point will not work.

ReputationRep:
    Right I see, that makes sense actually.

I assumed that the extended position value would be the same regardless of where you take the x value from, but it seems like the convention is that in order to be able to use/derive SHM properly you need to take the displacement/extension from the equilibrium position...

ReputationRep:
    Right I see, that makes sense actually.

I assumed that the extended position value would be the same regardless of where you take the x value from, but it seems like the convention is that in order to be able to use/derive SHM properly you need to take the displacement/extension from the equilibrium position...
    Yes - this is actually the definition of simple harmonic motion, where the restoring force is proportional to the displacement from the origin; which is why you must consider displacement from the equilibrium position.

ReputationRep:
    That's great I think its cleared up my doubt now.

Thanks for the prompt help!

ReputationRep:
    That's great I think its cleared up my doubt now.

Thanks for the prompt help!
    No worries! Good luck with M3! :eek:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.