• Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  500.3 KB Zacken (sorry for so much tagging) and anyone please help

ReputationRep:
    ok - let's call the lenght of one edge of a cube, or side of a square, 'x'. The area of a square (one face of a cube) is equal to x squared - so take the square root of the area to find x. Then the volume of a cube is x cubed. Does that help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheshiremum)
    ok - let's call the lenght of one edge of a cube, or side of a square, 'x'. The area of a square (one face of a cube) is equal to x squared - so take the square root of the area to find x. Then the volume of a cube is x cubed. Does that help?
    id have defo failed this question then!
    im uber bad at maths and my approach would have been to times 20 by all the sides of the cube and then times the total by 2 :/
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    Square root of 20 would be 4.47 what would I do after this?

ReputationRep:
    4.47 cubed = 4.47 x 4.47 x 4.47 unless you're allowed to use a calculator then do 20^(3/2)....= 89.44 and remmeber to put the units in..cm3 (that should be a superscript 3) - you lose marks for forgetting the units.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zXcodeXz)
    So you've got the length of each side cube, with which you should be able to find the volume...
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Volume is length x width x height
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    4.47 cubed = 4.47 x 4.47 x 4.47 unless you're allowed to use a calculator then do 20^(3/2)....= 89.44 and remmeber to put the units in..cm3 (that should be a superscript 3) - you lose marks for forgetting the units.
    Oh ok thanks for your help!
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by TheOtherSide.)
    So you've got the length of each side cube, with which you should be able to find the volume...
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Volume is length x width x height
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Zacken (sorry for so much tagging) and anyone please help
    Sorry for the late reply, but as above, the area of one side of a cube is x^2 where x is the side length and you want to find x^3, which the volume.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawtyb)
    id have defo failed this question then!
    im uber bad at maths and my approach would have been to times 20 by all the sides of the cube and then times the total by 2 :/
    I'm going to say you are NOT uber bad at maths...either you weren't paying attention, or you've not been taught well, or you lack confidence! You can do this. Area of a square = x multiplied by x...volume of a cube = x multiplied by x multiplied by x. Believe in yourself, do a bit of practise, look up some papers with marking schemes and model answers - do the questions, then check the answers. You CAN do maths.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Sorry for the late reply, but as above, the area of one side of a cube is x^2 where x is the side length and you want to find x^3, which the volume.
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to say you are NOT uber bad at maths...either you weren't paying attention, or you've not been taught well, or you lack confidence! You can do this. Area of a square = x multiplied by x...volume of a cube = x multiplied by x multiplied by x. Believe in yourself, do a bit of practise, look up some papers with marking schemes and model answers - do the questions, then check the answers. You CAN do maths.
    no, trust me. i CANT do maths. i have problems with relaying information

i can barely times things by each other unless there easy.

volume of a cube for example 3x3x3. id think its 9 or 18. there the answers id have got

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!
    I'm moving this to the maths forum, try and post mathematical queries in there in the future. :-)
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Zacken)
    I'm moving this to the maths forum, try and post mathematical queries in there in the future. :-)
    Ok thanks and I will do

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks and I will do
    No worries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawtyb)
    no, trust me. i CANT do maths. i have problems with relaying information

i can barely times things by each other unless there easy.

volume of a cube for example 3x3x3. id think its 9 or 18. there the answers id have got
    Ah, I can see tha t might make things harder. YOu've got to break it down...3x3x3 = (3x3)x3 = (9)x3 = 27
    Multiplication is adding things a series of times, so 3 x 2 is 3 lots of 2; 2+2+2 =6. 3x3 =3 lots of 3 = 3+3+3=9.
    Do one multiplication first, then the next. Believing you can do it, or learn how to do it, is more than half the battle.
    Or think about a practical example - instead of a cube of side 3, think of a box with 3 rows of 3 shirts, so 9 shirts in each box, then 3 boxes stacked on top of each other...so 3 boxes each with 9 shirts...so 27?
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    im usually ok if its really really simplified but after that day, il just have no idea
    easy multiplication i can do but i cant even add things in my head, i can if its easy but beyond my idea of easy and il need to count on my hannds.

ReputationRep:
     \sqrt {20} =4.47 ?. that means that  \sqrt{20} =\frac{447}{100} , meaning that  \sqrt{20} is not irrational after all? I think I'm going to have to have a lie down.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Ano123)
     \sqrt {20} =4.47 ?. that means that  \sqrt{20} =\frac{447}{100} , meaning that  \sqrt{20} is not irrational after all? I think I'm going to have to have a lie down.
    No it's basically what same number times together to get 20

ReputationRep:
    No it's basically what same number times together to get 20
    Which is 4.47?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 12, 2016
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.