The Student Room Group

Are Non-core GCSE Results That important.

Hey! so im looking at 1 A*, 4A's, 3B's and potentially a D or lower in one. The D grade im looking at is in GCSE Computing. I love computing but for over this 2 year period we are on our 4th teacher for the subject, 1 of which were not qualified fully to teach the subject but the reason im looking at such a low grade is due to the fact that the 2 pieces of coursework we did in this time have been marked by my current teacher at ~E grades both of them, low grades like this have been common through the whole class for the cw. i will need a high A in the exam to be able to get a C grade. but im just asking if i do fall short, will it impact me in the long term? and as a quick side question, if i get the predicted results at the top, are these considered decent? (my A levels dont require Computing)
Besides the D, your predicted grades are good, above average I believe so you'd be doing well if you got those results. As for you computing grade, it might not matter if you do badly or it might, depending on what you wish to do after GCSEs. Is there a minimum requirement for sixth form? As that is probably your biggest concern at the moment. If you meet the requirements then you should be fine, I don't think GCSEs are looked at very much when you have your a levels, and if they are I think it's just to check you got five grade Cs or above, so you should be alright. But again it depends on personal circumstance, so you GCSE results may come up often, or they might never come up, so it's not easy to say whether or not the D in computing will negatively impact your life or not, but I would lean towards not due to GCSEs not being as big a deal once you have your a levels
Reply 2
Original post by IfYouCanDreamIt
Besides the D, your predicted grades are good, above average I believe so you'd be doing well if you got those results. As for you computing grade, it might not matter if you do badly or it might, depending on what you wish to do after GCSEs. Is there a minimum requirement for sixth form? As that is probably your biggest concern at the moment. If you meet the requirements then you should be fine, I don't think GCSEs are looked at very much when you have your a levels, and if they are I think it's just to check you got five grade Cs or above, so you should be alright. But again it depends on personal circumstance, so you GCSE results may come up often, or they might never come up, so it's not easy to say whether or not the D in computing will negatively impact your life or not, but I would lean towards not due to GCSEs not being as big a deal once you have your a levels

Thanks that what i kinda thought, i pass the entry requirements for all my courses so getting into college should be fine, just hoping that one bad grade wont come to bite me is the ass later on
Original post by (1)Quantum
Thanks that what i kinda thought, i pass the entry requirements for all my courses so getting into college should be fine, just hoping that one bad grade wont come to bite me is the ass later on

If you pass your entry requirements then you should be okay, I'd say it's probably very unlikely that that one lower grade will prevent you from doing anything, especially since you're predicted good grades in your other GCSEs
in some cases gcses matter if you want to get into medicine for example however like above stated non core subjects would be used for entry requirements to get into sixth form or college and be used as an indicator whether you would be suited to study a subject (eg: if someone wanted to study art a level then that means you had to have studied art gcse - most schools that is the case)

Quick Reply

Latest