Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I graduated from uni last summer and got a 2.1, and initially I want to get into the police, and Im working towards it with the role of a Special Constable, which is a voluntary police officer and is a common way to get into the force full time.

However that is only part time 16 hours a month or something. Now im working in a call centre, in a customer service role. Its going ok, but ive been finding it boring, and there is no fulfillment in the job for me, I find it dry and repetitive. If I find another job yes I will go but like I said, im in the police force so I just have to wait, for a recruitment opening.

Now another thing is, I like a girl at work its going ok, however I just want to know if anything can come of us, but its hard as we work different shifts, I mean I cant walk up to her and talk as we're all working. She''s not on social media either. Its frustrating as I want to talk but I cant. The only thing is if I get her number but its a bit early for that. Tbh what ever is meant to be will happen etc.

I have also recently been finding myself feeling upset inside, not really crying but sometimes I want to, it may be stress related. I just want to sit somewhere nice and think which way my life is going and how I can improve.

To me there a lot going on, not enjoying, working doing two shifts in a day, like day and night so I can fit the police work in, which is trying but what can I do, then there is the relationship aspect.

Any advice ? Thanks for the read

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I graduated from uni last summer and got a 2.1, and initially I want to get into the police, and Im working towards it with the role of a Special Constable, which is a voluntary police officer and is a common way to get into the force full time.

However that is only part time 16 hours a month or something. Now im working in a call centre, in a customer service role. Its going ok, but ive been finding it boring, and there is no fulfillment in the job for me, I find it dry and repetitive. If I find another job yes I will go but like I said, im in the police force so I just have to wait, for a recruitment opening.

Now another thing is, I like a girl at work its going ok, however I just want to know if anything can come of us, but its hard as we work different shifts, I mean I cant walk up to her and talk as we're all working. She''s not on social media either. Its frustrating as I want to talk but I cant. The only thing is if I get her number but its a bit early for that. Tbh what ever is meant to be will happen etc.

I have also recently been finding myself feeling upset inside, not really crying but sometimes I want to, it may be stress related. I just want to sit somewhere nice and think which way my life is going and how I can improve.

To me there a lot going on, not enjoying, working doing two shifts in a day, like day and night so I can fit the police work in, which is trying but what can I do, then there is the relationship aspect.

Any advice ? Thanks for the read
    Which uni did you go to?

(Original post by Lucasium)
    Which uni did you go to?
    Hull

BUMP

Can some advice please ?

ReputationRep:
    Just wait

ReputationRep:
    Hey man!

Don't worry, everyone hits rough patches. Although you may not enjoy your job at the moment. If you work through it you can get what you want, however if another opportunity comes along...take it! Its a win win..try a different perspective

As for the girl...You will just have to wait your turn... Maybe leave a note on her desk...or something similar.

If you ever need to talk, please message me! Always here to help man!

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by LordLewi23)
    Hey man!

Don't worry, everyone hits rough patches. Although you may not enjoy your job at the moment. If you work through it you can get what you want, however if another opportunity comes along...take it! Its a win win..try a different perspective

As for the girl...You will just have to wait your turn... Maybe leave a note on her desk...or something similar.

If you ever need to talk, please message me! Always here to help man!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ill see how it goes what ever happens happens, I think im coming down with some illness which might be the cause.

ReputationRep:
    right now your job is just a means to an end, plenty of people aren't fulfilled and excited by their jobs... just stick at it and try and do some nice things with the money you earn

(Original post by doodle_333)
    right now your job is just a means to an end, plenty of people aren't fulfilled and excited by their jobs... just stick at it and try and do some nice things with the money you earn
    True but what about the girl ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    True but what about the girl ?
    if you have the opportunity to chat and get to know her a bit first, do that, if you don't decide whether you want to ask for her number and do it if you fancy

(Original post by doodle_333)
    if you have the opportunity to chat and get to know her a bit first, do that, if you don't decide whether you want to ask for her number and do it if you fancy
    Like I said it does depend on the opportunity, if I get it, I have spoken to her though. I suppose I could ask for her number if im finishing off work and just go up to her.

ReputationRep:
    Hey OP, chin up!

I work in a call centre too so I totally understand where you're coming from when you say it's repetitive. I mean how many times do you need to repeat to a customer how to sign into their account before they will understand?!

But anyway, I think in regards to your police role, keep waiting for that role to come up and find a different job to keep you going in the meantime. I wouldn't say working in a call centre is the most demanding jobs in the world so I wouldn't choose a job that is long hours and too stressful if you are still doing your volunteering position at the same time.

If you like the girl at your work, maybe if you do work the same shift together one day you can possibly try sit beside her and start a conversation. Or you can always send her an e-mail at work if you know her last name!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 24, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.