Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do fitbits actually help with weight loss? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

Just a quick question, do fitbits actually aid with weight loss because I'm looking into getting one to help me reach my goals but since they aren't cheap and I'm in uni I don't want to buy one if it's not really going to help!

ReputationRep:
    Like lots of things they are a useful tool but will only play a small part in a more significant lifestyle change. I like to make sure I meet a minimum level of activity each day and the Fitbit helps me keep an eye on it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think, considering that many people manage to lose weight without one, that it's not an essential thing to buy.

What exactly would you hope to get out of it?

ReputationRep:
    I have an app called MyScale (I think) which has helped me lose 40 pounds so no, you do not need a Fitbit

ReputationRep:
    Hmm if it's not that useful then I might wait until birthday in September and see if my relatives would like to purchase one Thanks for your help!

ReputationRep:
    Your phone should actually be able to do all the things a Fitbit can. The only benefit of a Fitbit is to see the progress on your wrist.

ReputationRep:
    I love my fitbit. I have a few friends on it and we do comps to see who can do the most steps in a week. It is a friendly comp between us and motivating - I think they can be a helpful tool You can also input like myfitness pal what you eat and it tracks the In out Vs Cals + it breaks down the % of fat, carbs, protein and fiber so you can see if your eating too much or too less of one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PurplePixie96)
    Hi!

Just a quick question, do fitbits actually aid with weight loss because I'm looking into getting one to help me reach my goals but since they aren't cheap and I'm in uni I don't want to buy one if it's not really going to help!
    No they aren't. To put it simply, weight loss is going to be determined
    if your in a caloric deficit I.e eating less calories to maintain your body weight.
    So essentially, you need to know what you're putting in your mouth.

Exercising helps burn calories but in the end its total calories in v.s out per week.
    Your weight fluctuates to much daily hence why I said weekly
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    question regarding fitbits: how are they connected (nfc, wifi or bluetooth) and how much do they drain battery on phones?- also how long is their battery in general and does it need to be connected to your phone?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 19, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.