Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have unconditional offers for both and like the the social aspects of both places so that isn't really a factor. At the moment I'm struggling with weighing up the high student satisfaction against from what I can tell is a weaker research record at St Andrews. Does anyone else have information about St Andrews for a Biology degree?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I was deciding between St Andrews and Edinburgh for biology too, and have finally decided on Edinburgh. I've been to open days and offers day for both unis - anything in particular you want to know about them?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by It's_Ailie)
    I was deciding between St Andrews and Edinburgh for biology too, and have finally decided on Edinburgh. I've been to open days and offers day for both unis - anything in particular you want to know about them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I was just wondering if an undergraduate degree in biology would be looked at differently from St. Andrews than from Edinburgh - Edinburgh is significantly higher on the academic rankings but I've heard that that's due to the small research base. However I've found no unbiased source to confirm that yet
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Both are good unis. Don't worry about research at the moment. It doesn't have much to do with you at undergrad level. Take academic rankings with a handful of salt. Go with the course that interests you more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    Both are good unis. Don't worry about research at the moment. It doesn't have much to do with you at undergrad level. Take academic rankings with a handful of salt. Go with the course that interests you more.
    Totally agree - academic rankings are constantly changing and are different on different sources. Research won't make a big difference to you and shouldn't be what you base your choice on - if you want to do research in the future, you don't have to stay where you studied to do it! You can move to another uni to do a postgraduate if you want to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Breesus)
    I was just wondering if an undergraduate degree in biology would be looked at differently from St. Andrews than from Edinburgh - Edinburgh is significantly higher on the academic rankings but I've heard that that's due to the small research base. However I've found no unbiased source to confirm that yet
    Both are highly prestigious unis and both get consistently high ranking, both for biology and as an overall uni. Depending which rankings you look at, they both come out top at some point. Do not choose between the two based on which you think will look better - a degree from either looks good. Both do a LOT of research in lots of areas, but as I said in my other post, don't pick based on research because you can move to do postgraduate, and then again to do your own research! You need to choose the place you think you would be happiest in because there is not a big enough difference in how prestigious / respected they are to base a decision on that

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 14, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.