Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

personal trainers or gym people please Watch

ReputationRep:
    I gained quite a bit of weight, some when to the right places and others to my stomach which I'm not happy with.

I want to start going to the gym but I don't want to lose the weight on my thighs and bum. i just want to focus on the problem area (stomach). I have no clue about how exercise works tbh so any help is nice

so can I even do that and if i can what gym equipment do i need to workout on?

thanks
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Doesnt work like that. You cant spot reduce. Its mostly diet to get rid of the layer of fat on top. If you go gym you can work on muscles underneath, but you wont see them until you get rid of the fat. It will help with physical health though and increase fat loss.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a guy and had a question:

I am new to gym so I want abs but want to gain weight. I am not fat, I'm really skinny tbh but by no means am I packing a six pack. How am I supposed to gain weight and have abs at the same time?

Also, dunno what its called but the top half of my legs, when I sit down look really fat (dunno why), I want to lose weight there specifically as well?

HELP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeff548)

I am new to gym so I want abs but want to gain weight. I am not fat, I'm really skinny tbh but by no means am I packing a six pack. How am I supposed to gain weight and have abs at the same time?

Also, dunno what its called but the top half of my legs, when I sit down look really fat (dunno why), I want to lose weight there specifically as well?

HELP
    I would perhaps bulk for a few months in combination with training your abs to help them grow (this will make them more visible). Then begin to cut the fat by focusing on your diet ie low carbs and cardio.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Read the FAQ http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3014757

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lighfy)
    I would perhaps bulk for a few months in combination with training your abs to help them grow (this will make them more visible). Then begin to cut the fat by focusing on your diet ie low carbs and cardio.
    Legend, thanks

ReputationRep:
    You can help to target fat loss around the stomach area by working your abs while covering your stomach with clingfilm. It helps increase the body temperature in the area and improves fat oxidation.

The increased heat and oxidation combined with the stored fuel in the form of adipose tissue results in burning more fat. It's the same concept as the fire triangle.

ReputationRep:

I wouldn't worry too much about abs, they're overrated. From my observation, what women seem to prefer, in order, is:

Chest/forearms, shoulders, legs, back/biceps, abs.

Any women feel free to chime in

I can't get abs, I've gone ultra-skinny before and still nothing (may need more muscle there, but the bodyfat thing isn't always true). Focus on putting weight and mass on, I guarantee you women will prefer a guy with a little weight and some pecs as opposed to a twig with washboard abs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoeTSR)
    I wouldn't worry too much about abs, they're overrated. From my observation, what women seem to prefer, in order, is:

I can't get abs, I've gone ultra-skinny before and still nothing (may need more muscle there, but the bodyfat thing isn't always true). Focus on putting weight and mass on, I guarantee you women will prefer a guy with a little weight and some pecs as opposed to a twig with washboard abs.
    Correction, it should be Abs+money :lol:

ReputationRep:

Thanks

Do you have a routine for this that you could recommend for me because I am fairly new to the gym and have no idea what I am doing

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

Do you have a routine for this that you could recommend for me because I am fairly new to the gym and have no idea what I am doing
    Sure Generally, try and follow 5x5 - 5 sets of 5 reps.

I'd start off with a couple of weeks on the machines (not the cardio ones, though rowing machines can be ok) - the ones with weight. I don't know what the variety's like at your gym, but I started on resistance machines with weights inbuilt, then moved onto the ones where you load the weights yourself, then free weights.

Work out your 1 rep max, and go from there to come up with a weight you can just about manage for 5x5. Step it up gradually, and do different areas of the body on different days. If you can't physically finish all 5 sets, you can take a short break, if you still can't, then lower the weight a touch. I'd do circuits, so 5 reps on say seated rows, 5 pullups, etc, until you've done your 5x5. Have a minute break between each set.

Gradually move up to free weights, I personally do compound lifts and do 5x5 squats, benchpresses, deadlifts, overhead presses, corner deadlifts, pec flys, pullups each session. Though now I've moved into a boxing workout, involving lots of bag work, pullups, battle rope, pushups, inverted situps, monkeybars, medicine ball rebounds, box jumps, skipping, plus a bit of running, with freeweights once a week. I wouldn't go for the boxing workout until you've built up a routine though (and definitely not until you've moved onto freeweights).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo)
    You can help to target fat loss around the stomach area by working your abs while covering your stomach with clingfilm. It helps increase the body temperature in the area and improves fat oxidation.

The increased heat and oxidation combined with the stored fuel in the form of adipose tissue results in burning more fat. It's the same concept as the fire triangle.
    Possibly one of the stupidest things I have ever heard.

ReputationRep:

Money > Chest> arms> Back> Abs

a guy but my version of it anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo)

das it mane

ReputationRep:
    Come in to Fitness First on Queens Road in Brighton. Any of our staff would be more than welcome to help target areas and assist in getting your body in top form!

ReputationRep:
    It's MORE LIKELY A HORMONAL THING IF YOU STORE FAT AROUND THE GUT!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.