Chances for Natural Sciences course for "Mature" Student?

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!

I'm a student in UK university, studying Politics, and I really dislike it. I've started getting back to my original interests - Natural and Life Sciences a couple of months ago, and I really wish I could study that instead.

I did the IB, and didn't take any science at HL level, so retaking my exams is already a nono since I would basically have to restart the program.

I don't know what to do... Does anybody have any idea?

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    This is what foundation years etc are for! If you have a look online, lots of good universities are offering one year courses going through the science A level content, usually leading onto a place on their standard degree programme

You could also consider going back and redoing IB/ A levels in science subjects, or doing a degree with the open university (nor sure how good they are for science courses though, probably not many lab hours).

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm aiming at doing a second degree - in Natural Sciences after doing Int Architecture first time around. I'm 29 and studying A levels in Maths Phys and Chem. I would suggest getting a good grounding in them first.
    I'm looking for a study network so let me know what you decide and if you want to study together.

regards

ReputationRep:
    When I was at uni, I did Theology and English for 2 years, then switched to the OU. I was able to transfer my credits and get a degree in Humanities.

If you find a course, call the uni and discuss credit transfers. The OU were very good, but I think most unis will consider this.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meljay)
    When I was at uni, I did Theology and English for 2 years, then switched to the OU. I was able to transfer my credits and get a degree in Humanities.

If you find a course, call the uni and discuss credit transfers. The OU were very good, but I think most unis will consider this.

Good luck!
    As Politics is so different from what you want to study, you might be able to study an Open degree with the OU, as an example. This is not a named degree, like "politics" but you've still earned it. That is, if they do the modules you fancy.

Just a thought.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 26, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
What is your favourite day of the week
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.