Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Are there any old fans of Modest Mouse out there?

I only found out about them after hearing Float On (just can't get enough of that song. It'll probably be huge.) although I'd heard their name quite a few times when I was in the US. But I've listened to some of their older stuff and I'm thinking of getting the whole back catalogue. Their lyrics are just awesome and extremely weird. The music is even more peculiar and they don't sound like any other rock band. You can tell that there's some Modest Mouse influence in Franz Ferdinand.

ReputationRep:
    YES!! Modest Mouse are amazing. The lyrics are quite odd, some are so deep and meaningful though. Yes Franz Ferdinand probably have been influenced by good ol' Modest Mouse :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    yeah i LOVE float on

what does their other stuff sound like? is it quite similar to float on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkegokane)
    yeah i LOVE float on

what does their other stuff sound like? is it quite similar to float on?
    hey
    that's a coincidence. I've only heard their Moon and Antartica album. It sounds quite different. Float On has a bit of disco/funk in it which makes it stand out so much. Their stuff on the album goes from plain acoustic to things a bit similar to Float On but a bit more basic. I guess it's the combination of the weird but extremely clever lyrics plus music that you don't hear everyday that makes their songs so wicked. The singer will sometimes just start shouting in one song where you'd think it wouldn't sound right. They just make weird choices when they build their songs but it sounds so great.
    I'd compare them a bit to the Pixies, not because of the genre (though both bands have extremely weird lyrics), but because of the way they always strive to be unique and in the end, they end up influencing numerous bands.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    hey
    that's a coincidence. I've only heard their Moon and Antartica album. It sounds quite different. Float On has a bit of disco/funk in it which makes it stand out so much. Their stuff on the album goes from plain acoustic to things a bit similar to Float On but a bit more basic. I guess it's the combination of the weird but extremely clever lyrics plus music that you don't hear everyday that makes their songs so wicked. The singer will sometimes just start shouting in one song where you'd think it wouldn't sound right. They just make weird choices when they build their songs but it sounds so great.
    I'd compare them a bit to the Pixies, not because of the genre (though both bands have extremely weird lyrics), but because of the way they always strive to be unique and in the end, they end up influencing numerous bands.
    that sounds amazing, i'll have to check it out!

ReputationRep:
    Modest Mouse are a good band, their new album is pretty good, by far their most commercial/accessible to date, but I still cant really see them having anything more than a cult following though...

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.