Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can someone please explain if whether or not vaping is healthy and why? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please explain if whether or not vaping is healthy and why?

Thank you everyone for your useful research you have gathered for me thanks for the responses you have given.

ReputationRep:
    You mean electronic cigarettes?

ReputationRep:
    It's not healthy at all, although it's probably considerably less bad for you than conventional smoking and easier than giving up nicotine completely. It's also far less unpleasant for people around you.

You're still taking in nicotine which messes with a really important neurotransmitter pathway, plus there's a whole bunch of other potential issues that haven't really been researched properly in humans. The technology is still relatively new and people generally don't look critically at it because of how atrocious conventional smoking is. Former smokers who vape often take in much more nicotine now than when they smoked.

The problems that have come up in research include among others: Tissue damage to the nose and lungs, reduced immune activity, reduced sperm counts in men, defects in the brains of babies developing in vaping mothers etc. etc. all bad stuff.

The problem with the research is that most of the more comprehensive research about the worst potential effects of vaping is carried out using mice housed in an environment where the air is laced with vaping chemicals. That's not necessarily a model that accurately reflects what will happen in humans who periodically inhale large doses, although I suspect it's pretty close to the mark.

ReputationRep:
    What Nefarious said. It's not good for you but it helps people to give up on smoking, so it's not a bad invention.

And before anyone quotes the poorly conducted meta-analysis that went all over the news saying that vaping doesn't help, that myth has been debunked: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03hx3tq

ReputationRep:
    Unhealthy in the sense that if you use those awful ones that smell of kids' sweets, anyone sensible will shun you.

ReputationRep:
    I think there are liquids that do not contain nicotine.I read somewhere that you can buy one. But Im not sure though of the effect on it if it does not contain nicotine.

ReputationRep:
    The heating element used to vaporise the e-liquid in an e-cigarrette is often made out of an alloy that usually includes some nasty heavy metals. When it's heated up, the element ejects nanoparticles containing those heavy metals, which accumulate in your lungs. Vaping is a terrible idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellej93)
    I think there are liquids that do not contain nicotine.I read somewhere that you can buy one. But Im not sure though of the effect on it if it does not contain nicotine.
    Nicotine is the active ingredient in tobacco products - it's what makes them feel good. Vaping without nicotine would be pretty pointless.

ReputationRep:
    if you're a current smoker, its better to vape than smoke cigarettes. If you want to vape for fun/ leisure it isnt particularly healthy, there are chemicals in it that damage your lungs that arent nicotine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mahmoud786)
    Can someone please explain if whether or not vaping is healthy and why?
    It's not healthy, you are still inhaling carcinogenic compounds. It's only "healthy" in the sense that it's not as bad for you as actually smoking, which is extremely unhealthy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nefarious)
    It's not healthy at all, although it's probably considerably less bad for you than conventional smoking and easier than giving up nicotine completely. It's also far less unpleasant for people around you.

You're still taking in nicotine which messes with a really important neurotransmitter pathway, plus there's a whole bunch of other potential issues that haven't really been researched properly in humans. The technology is still relatively new and people generally don't look critically at it because of how atrocious conventional smoking is. Former smokers who vape often take in much more nicotine now than when they smoked.

The problems that have come up in research include among others: Tissue damage to the nose and lungs, reduced immune activity, reduced sperm counts in men, defects in the brains of babies developing in vaping mothers etc. etc. all bad stuff.

The problem with the research is that most of the more comprehensive research about the worst potential effects of vaping is carried out using mice housed in an environment where the air is laced with vaping chemicals. That's not necessarily a model that accurately reflects what will happen in humans who periodically inhale large doses, although I suspect it's pretty close to the mark.
    Thank you so much this was so useful may I please just ask which research you are talking about in the third paragraph may you please provide links/sources thank you.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 18, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.