The Student Room Group

New Zealand octopus mounts daring escape

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/apr/13/the-great-escape-inky-the-octopus-legs-it-to-freedom-from-new-zealand-aquarium

An octopus has made a brazen escape from the national aquarium in New Zealand by breaking out of its tank, slithering down a 50-metre drainpipe and disappearing into the sea.

In scenes reminiscent of Finding Nemo, Inky a common New Zealand octopus made his dash for freedom after the lid of his tank was accidentally left slightly ajar.

Cephalopods are amazing, they're so intelligent. I can't even eat octopus anymore. They're known to board fishing boats and break into the hold to eat the tasty crabs inside. They have demonstrated amazing problem-solving skills, they use tools and build shelters for themselves.

My favourite cephalopod is the cuttlefish, which can change colour, shape and hypnotises its prey.

[video="youtube;l1T4ZgkCuiM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1T4ZgkCuiM[/video]
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It put a smile on my face.
Good for him!
This piece made me laugh so much when I read it this morning, and the comments are just as good. A 'surprise octopus' is an awesome beast.
Good on it:smile:
An octopod Kiwi called Inky
Caused his captors concern and to think he
Had scuttled away
To seek better prey
When really he’d nipped out for a drinky.
Incredible! I remember reading about an octopus who would turn the light off in his tank by squirting water at it.
Don't you just feel sorry for Blotchy? How many hours of octopus-one-upmanship must he have endured in that tank? I bet Inky was a bit of a braggart, always going on about how he was the one with the 'personality'. I'd look very carefully at Blotchy this morning to see if he was looking just a bit sleeker and plumper than usual...
so farewell Inky
you cunning Kiwi mollusc
kia waimarie
Obviously Inky was horrified by the increasing Auckland property prices
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Don't you just feel sorry for Blotchy? How many hours of octopus-one-upmanship must he have endured in that tank? I bet Inky was a bit of a braggart, always going on about how he was the one with the 'personality'. I'd look very carefully at Blotchy this morning to see if he was looking just a bit sleeker and plumper than usual...

Accused of nefarious deeds,
Blotchy’s pure as the driven, “I needs
To find a safe space
From where I can face
My accusers, those rascals“, he pleads.
Could barely survive, life in the tank
Unhappy with his lot, his hope had sank
Poor Inky he thought, I have no hope
Gone is my life, like water in soap

So off he sped, and slithered away
Leaving only a note, that had this to say
Badly scribbled it was, his tentacles couldn't hold the pen
"you idiots, Im going back home then."
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by apronedsamurai
Obviously Inky was horrified by the increasing Auckland property prices

One does wonder at his motivation for legging it.
Original post by Good bloke
Accused of nefarious deeds,
Blotchy’s pure as the driven, “I needs
To find a safe space
From where I can face
My accusers, those rascals“, he pleads.

I bet it was awful, listening to Inky going on about his deeds of derring-do. Which of us could blame him?

One-upoctopusship?
Original post by KingBradly
Incredible! I remember reading about an octopus who would turn the light off in his tank by squirting water at it.

They're born problem-solvers. This video here has an octopus opening up a glass jar to get at the crab inside. They're so clever. And they have such soulful eyes; it's really incredible for invertebrates

[video="youtube;T8cf7tPoN5o"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8cf7tPoN5o[/video]
(edited 8 years ago)
I bet it was awful, listening to Inky going on about his deeds of herring-do. Which of us could blame him?

One-upoctopusship?

perhaps Inky sneaked off to the cinema to see:

Spoiler

Original post by the bear
perhaps Inky sneaked off to the cinema to see:

Spoiler

He could have directed, produced and starred in it himself singletentacledly
I bet it was awful, listening to Inky going on about his deeds of derring-do. Which of us could blame him?

One-upoctopusship?

I suspect octopus tricks are a dime a dozen, it'd be hard to get one up. Look at this amazing shapeshifting octopus (I think they can pretty much all do that, change shape and colour)

[video="youtube;PmDTtkZlMwM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmDTtkZlMwM[/video]
Original post by BeastOfSyracuse
They're born problem-solvers. This video here has an octopus opening up a glass jar to get at the crab inside. They're so clever. And they have such soulful eyes; it's really incredible for invertebrates

Said a crab while at peace in a jar,
“I’m glad that the distance is far,
And this strange glassy house
Is safe from the nouse
Of that hungry and bad octop aarrgghh!"
He could have directed, produced and starred in it himself singletentacledly

maybe he went to a punk concert with his mate....

Spoiler

:getmecoat:
Original post by Good bloke
Said a crab while at peace in a jar,
“I’m glad that the distance is far,
And this strange glassy house
Is safe from the nouse
Of that hungry and bad octop aarrgghh!"

:lol: Brilliant!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending