GCSE Geography, Physics - How are they assessed?

Watch
Flambo33
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi, So I'm looking at doing gcse Physics and Geography as a private candidate which means i can only take exams in the exam center, no coursework ect.

Does anyone know if GCSE geography and physics are exam only? I've been checking on AQA and I'm unsure what it actually means. For the geography it says 100% terminal exam which means all exams at the end of the year so i assume that's doable?

For physics however Unit 4 there's 2 lessons for practical assessment, does this mean i would be unable to sit the exams alone to achieve the GCSE? however again - if you take the course online there's no mention of practical work (obviously there cant be as it's distant learning?)

Geography
Unit 1: Managing places in the 21st Century
Written paper – 1 hour 30 minutes – 86* marks – 37.5% Unit 2: Hostile world and Investigating the shrinking world
Written Paper – 1 hour 30 minutes – 86** marks – 37.5% Unit 3: Local investigation including fieldwork and Geographical issue investigation
Controlled assessment – 60 marks – 25% For assessments and subject awards after June 2013 there is a requirement that 100% of the assessment is terminal.

physics

Unit 1: Physics 1Written paper - 1 hour60 marks - 25%Structured and closed questions

At least one question assessing Quality of Written Communication in a science context.Unit 2: Physics 2Written paper - 1 hour60 marks - 25%Structured and closed questions

At least one question assessing Quality of Written Communication in a science context.Unit 3: Physics 3Written paper - 1 hour60 marks - 25%Structured and closed questions

At least one question assessing Quality of Written Communication in a science context.Unit 4: Controlled AssessmentInvestigative Skills Assignment – two written assessments plus one or two lessons for practical work and data processing50 marks – 25%Controlled Assessment:
  • we set the ISAs and send you all the information before the course starts
  • you choose which of several ISAs to do and when
  • your candidates do the ISA test in class time
  • you mark their tests using marking guidance from us
  • we moderate your marks.
FabulouslyAwks
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Bump
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (111)
28.03%
No (285)
71.97%

Watched Threads